Maths part of the 11 plus

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Slater25

Maths part of the 11 plus

Post by Slater25 »

Hi can anyone tell me what the Cem maths test is like. Is it all multiple choice and how advanced at maths do you need to be as I have been told you need to cover all of year 6 work aswell is this true
Candel

Re: Maths part of the 11 plus

Post by Candel »

There's a lot of information on the above thread 'exam content' and lots more if you have a good look around past threads.

The ke schools website says "The mathematics section is based on topics covered up to and including the Year 5 curriculum. The test is centred on standard classroom practice and can include questions focusing on the four attainment targets in mathematics: Using and applying mathematics, Number, Shape, Space and Measures and Handling data. Children will be required to read word problems in a given context and then apply their mathematical knowledge to a range of situations rather than just answer a series of computations."

Usually one paper is multi-choice and the other requires numerical answers. Hope this helps to start with. Good luck!
MathsMonster

Post by MathsMonster »

I understand it can be a mix of both quick questions and wordy. Speed is important too I think. Personally I think the Schofield and sims book 5 (and answer book) are the best way to practise maths for 11 plus at the correct level, and little and often too- ten minutes daily, rather than an hour every week- this will work on speed and retaining the content. It may be difficult to begin with but speed soon picks up if you practise daily.
MathsMonster

Post by MathsMonster »

For a good idea of what the exam is like I think the cem letts papers are very good. They do a bumper book.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now