WGHS Language Choices

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Madhat357

WGHS Language Choices

Post by Madhat357 »

Hi,

My daughter is starting at WGHS this year. She is especially excited about the languages on offer. Could anyone tell me how the language selction works? I know they have a choice of 4 modern foreign languages (French, German, Spanish and Russian) in Year 7 plus Latin in Year 8. Are they allocated the modern foreign languages in Year 7 or is it their choice?

Thanks
Chearty81

Re: WGHS Language Choices

Post by Chearty81 »

Hi Madhat357. My eldest about to be in year 9 did French, Spanish and Latin for 2 years (no choice to start) then they can choose to drop one. She seems to think they are alternate year selections so this year 7 will be the same…
Erniewise

Post by Erniewise »

My daughter is starting September…they are allocated 2 modern languages and this year I’ve heard it will be french and Russian.
RC11plus

Post by RC11plus »

Erniewise wrote:My daughter is starting September…they are allocated 2 modern languages and this year I’ve heard it will be french and Russian.
Hi Erniewise, are you able to say where you heard that it would be Russian and French? My daughter wanted to know what languages would be offered to her (she wants Russian and Spanish) and asked at the recent Teams Induction event but was told that no decision had been made. I was surprised by the response as I would have assumed that timetables for next year were already being drawn up, so not sure if it was just that teacher who didn't know. Thank you
Erniewise

Post by Erniewise »

Another parent I know whose daughter is starting there in September phoned up the school and asked.
Chearty81

Post by Chearty81 »

That’s interesting to hear - it’s all been a bit shrouded in secrecy this year TBH! :o
Erniewise

Post by Erniewise »

It varies each year - my friend’s daughter who went last year was allocated German and Russian
GinaKC

Post by GinaKC »

Hi,

My daughter was offered a place at WGHS literally on the last day of summer term. I wondered if you had any info on start dates and times for Sept ‘21? I have received a letter inviting her for covid testing on the 6th but I don’t know much else. We’ve missed induction so any advice, information or help would be much appreciated! Much thanks!
Chearty81

Post by Chearty81 »

Year 7 start date is Thursday 9th after lateral flow on the Monday. A letter went out in July, haven’t had any more info than that. :D
GinaKC

Post by GinaKC »

Chearty81 wrote:Year 7 start date is Thursday 9th after lateral flow on the Monday. A letter went out in July, haven’t had any more info than that. :D
Thank you! Feel relieved to have some info, much appreciated x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now