Birmingham 2021 Marks & Preference of school.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hermanmunster

Re: Birmingham 2021 Marks & Preference of school.

Post by hermanmunster »

twokidsdad wrote:
ric1982 wrote:
My understading is that (someone can correct if I am wrong) you need to put the schools in order of perference you/your daughter wish to go to. So if your daugher want to go to Handsworth first then put Handsworth at #1. Because If you put Sutton at #1 and they have place and offer you then denying the sutton would not gurrantee the handsworth place (if that makes sense). They follow order preference (i.e. 1,2,3,4..) as your priority order.
They would not offer you that "Mr twokidsdad you have offer from #1,#3 and #5 please select one". So make appropriate selection now because there will not be much to select on 1st March onwards.
Thanks ric
She actually want to go to camp hill but with her score it seems unlikely she will be offered a place (we live within Camp hill catchment area )
The most concern is if i put down handsworth as my daughter's first choice (still in Cat 5), will i know whether she will be offered a place in 1st March or we have to wait a bit longer? if we select Sutton as our first preference I think we will know the offer result by 1st March.
If she wants to go to Camp Hill then put it first, you are unlikely to get it but there is the outside possibility that there will be a year like last year where the waiting list went down further than usual.

You may or may not know on March 1st about Handsworth - you certainly would have known on March 1st this year & last year that you had a place with her score
twokidsdad

Post by twokidsdad »

hermanmunster wrote:
twokidsdad wrote:
ric1982 wrote:
My understading is that (someone can correct if I am wrong) you need to put the schools in order of perference you/your daughter wish to go to. So if your daugher want to go to Handsworth first then put Handsworth at #1. Because If you put Sutton at #1 and they have place and offer you then denying the sutton would not gurrantee the handsworth place (if that makes sense). They follow order preference (i.e. 1,2,3,4..) as your priority order.
They would not offer you that "Mr twokidsdad you have offer from #1,#3 and #5 please select one". So make appropriate selection now because there will not be much to select on 1st March onwards.
Thanks ric
She actually want to go to camp hill but with her score it seems unlikely she will be offered a place (we live within Camp hill catchment area )
The most concern is if i put down handsworth as my daughter's first choice (still in Cat 5), will i know whether she will be offered a place in 1st March or we have to wait a bit longer? if we select Sutton as our first preference I think we will know the offer result by 1st March.
If she wants to go to Camp Hill then put it first, you are unlikely to get it but there is the outside possibility that there will be a year like last year where the waiting list went down further than usual.

You may or may not know on March 1st about Handsworth - you certainly would have known on March 1st this year & last year that you had a place with her score
that clears my doubt. thank you hermanmunster and ric for answering my questions.
ChesterJS

Post by ChesterJS »

Hi all I’ve been reading all the latest commentary about putting down choices & the feedback is all very helpful, thank you. I’m still quite new the forum, my daughter scored 212 in the Bham exam, not sure she will get an offer from Sutton Girls as it’s lower than last years cut off (we do live close) & really confused whether to even put it down as 1st choice, was also thinking of Handsworth Girls again not sure if we’re close enough, please could anyone advise? Thank you.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ChesterJS wrote:Hi all I’ve been reading all the latest commentary about putting down choices & the feedback is all very helpful, thank you. I’m still quite new the forum, my daughter scored 212 in the Bham exam, not sure she will get an offer from Sutton Girls as it’s lower than last years cut off (we do live close) & really confused whether to even put it down as 1st choice, was also thinking of Handsworth Girls again not sure if we’re close enough, please could anyone advise? Thank you.
You can put Sutton Girls down if you wish, if you are not given a place then it will not affect your chances elsewhere. Handsworth went to 212 last year and 214 the year before on March 1st - the waiting list went lower 2020=211 2021=207 so you would certainly have a chance based on previous figures
ChesterJS

Post by ChesterJS »

hermanmunster - thank you for your prompt reply. I would love my daughter to go to Sutton Girls & I’m just hoping maybe from a waiting list she has some chance. Thank you again.
Sherry08

Post by Sherry08 »

Hiya,
Looking at the waiting list scores, I'm panicking a little!
My DC achieved 227 and we live within catchment (just over 3000m) of Fiveways.
Am I right in my understanding; we probably wouldn't be awarded a place on 1st March at FW, but better to put Handsworth down for OOC and be more likely to be awarded a place?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Sherry08 wrote:Hiya,
Looking at the waiting list scores, I'm panicking a little!
My DC achieved 227 and we live within catchment (just over 3000m) of Fiveways.
Am I right in my understanding; we probably wouldn't be awarded a place on 1st March at FW, but better to put Handsworth down for OOC and be more likely to be awarded a place?

Your DC has score in excess of 224 so if you are in catchment then it will come down to distance (Cat 4) - in 2020 this was 4400 m on March 1st in 2021 all in catchment were offered.

Is there another reason why you felt you may not get KEFW?
Sherry08

Post by Sherry08 »

Thank hermanmunster for your reply.

No, I just looked at the waiting list scores and thought maybe not.

In addition, the lack of understanding as to why all in catchment were not offered at fiveways when the catchment areas were introduced.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Sherry08 wrote:Thank hermanmunster for your reply.

In addition, the lack of understanding as to why all in catchment were not offered at fiveways when the catchment areas were introduced.
the first year of the catchments they set the priority score a bit too low at 222 - the aim was always to have places for all the catchment pupils who got that score + some OOC pupils however it didn't work for a couple of the schools , I think all got places in the end though. They increased the score to 224 the next year - this solved the problem for KEFW but CHB still were short of some places. As your DC scored over 224 the only essential factor is distance to the school (which hopefully will be fine for all in catchment_
Sirius001

Post by Sirius001 »

hermanmunster wrote:
Sherry08 wrote:Thank hermanmunster for your reply.

the first year of the catchments they set the priority score a bit too low at 222 - the aim was always to have places for all the catchment pupils who got that score + some OOC pupils however it didn't work for a couple of the schools , I think all got places in the end though. They increased the score to 224 the next year - this solved the problem for KEFW but CHB still were short of some places. As your DC scored over 224 the only essential factor is distance to the school (which hopefully will be fine for all in catchment_
It's been interesting and informative to understand scores and catchment areas. Taking CHB's popularity, how would it work if a boy had an extremely high score (say 250/260) but lived at the very end of the catchment area furthest away from CHB. Would he miss out despite being at the top of the exam scores? How would that same boy get into the other schools as an OOC child? I think, this is where it gets a bit difficult to understand the system if indeed children are taken according to distance and not scores within the catchment area.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now