Transport from Stafford to Walsall

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
goldenkippers

Transport from Stafford to Walsall

Post by goldenkippers »

My son sat the entrance test at Haberdashers' Adams in Newport and got his result today - he's eligible to apply for a place.

I'm now not sure whether to put Queen Mary's Grammar School as the second choice, due to the long distance. I know some parents whose children go to grammar schools in Newport and Wolverhampton who have organised shared minibuses, but I haven't heard of anything for Walsall. There is a public bus but it takes about 1.5 hours. Does anyone know of any parent-organised transport from Stafford to Walsall? Just trying to find this out before doing the application.
tigerrabbitsnake

Re: Transport from Stafford to Walsall

Post by tigerrabbitsnake »

Hi,
l am in Stafford as well.
my DD just got 330+.
Hope she can get a place in Newport.
and looking for taxi share from September hopefull.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

That is quite a distance to keep up for at least 5 years (maybe 7). My sons attend grammars 3 and 7 miles away and believe me, that's enough. Factor in rush hour times and a journey of 1hr say, can easily double.

QMGS finishes at 3.40pm too, there are also after school clubs and events to consider.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

tigerrabbitsnake wrote:Hi,
my DD just got 330+.
Isn't there a direct bus service from Stafford to Newport?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mad?

Post by mad? »

A few points to consider about car shares which our members have put together over the years - most of these apply equally to taxi shares
Checklist when considering a car share:

• How much do you really know about the other parent from a child safeguarding point of view? (Remember, anyone working with children, e.g. bus drivers for the school service, must have a current DBS form.)

• How much do you really know about their driving skills? Have you seen their insurance and car roadworthy details? (Remember that public transport and dedicated school services are required to have these, to a high level.)

• How would you cope if your child fell out with the other children in the car pool, or wanted to do different after school activities, or didn't want to stay after school when the other children were staying late?

• How would you cope if one of the other car pool parents had their car break down, or off the road for some other reason, at short notice?

• What if it's your turn to drive, and you or your child is sick?

• What if the other family turns out to be unreliable, or the driver/their child is regularly late, or ill?

• What if the other child moves to a different school?

• What if one child needs to stay after school for an activity or event?
mad?
goldenkippers

Post by goldenkippers »

Ricky74 wrote:That is quite a distance to keep up for at least 5 years (maybe 7). My sons attend grammars 3 and 7 miles away and believe me, that's enough. Factor in rush hour times and a journey of 1hr say, can easily double.

QMGS finishes at 3.40pm too, there are also after school clubs and events to consider.
Yes that’s what I’m thinking! It’s about 19 miles from our house and a horrible drive.
goldenkippers

Post by goldenkippers »

ToadMum wrote:
tigerrabbitsnake wrote:Hi,
my DD just got 330+.
Isn't there a direct bus service from Stafford to Newport?
Yes there is, but from our house you’d have to get one bus into Stafford and then another to Newport.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

goldenkippers wrote:
Ricky74 wrote:That is quite a distance to keep up for at least 5 years (maybe 7). My sons attend grammars 3 and 7 miles away and believe me, that's enough. Factor in rush hour times and a journey of 1hr say, can easily double.

Yes that’s what I’m thinking! It’s about 19 miles from our house and a horrible drive.
It is a faffy drive - remember thinking I was going to miss a train because it took a lot longer than I thought travelling from Newport to Stafford
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

During the pandemic, I had to collect my children a total of 10 times between last September and December. Then, I had to collect them in person. I know the situation has changed, but I imagine having to physically collect them that many times (7 for one son!) could be a real ussue if you live further away.

If it feels too far or a faff now, then it will be a drudge after 5/7 years.

My advice would be to choose as locally as you can.