KEHS Scholarships and Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Stroller

Re: KEHS Scholarships and Results

Post by Stroller »

hermanmunster wrote:I think the thing about assisted places is that they are well aware that some people may appear to be income-poor but eye-wateringly asset rich with much being owned by family trusts and family companies. Rightly they look into these a bit further
Proper order. There’s no shortage of unscrupulous rich people. The latest example has nothing to do with school admissions, but it’s nonetheless jaw-dropping: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/e ... 63014.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
SVK

Post by SVK »

mike1880 wrote:
Knitfaststaywarm wrote:I suppose, in the final analysis, all testing of children at 11 is a very blunt instrument. It's just a snapshot, on one day, influenced by many factors, the most predictive being, your parents socio-economic status & your parents educational attainment.

We (society) try to even it up, with a bit of social engineering here & there, but ultimately (for now at least) the games fixed.
All very true. And you forgot date of birth; age standardisation is simply a sticking plaster over the fact that relatively few summer-born children are entered into 11+ exams in the first place because perceptions of ability at primary school correlate very strongly to age.

But ideally we'd have an education system that worked better for everyone so parents didn't feel the need to pursue grammar schools or private education (speaking as a hypocrite who did both :oops: ).
Very true both. It is so unfortunate the state of non private and non selective school today. The result of years of politicking education for benefits of the few.
coffeemom

Post by coffeemom »

Has anyone else received their letter today? My daughter has been offered a full fee paying place (on the proviso we can demonstrate funds to pay). Does anyone have any experience of going through this process previously? We are planning on releasing equity to pay and are satisfied we can meet the cost this way. However, I am concerned the school may not agree and will withdraw the offer.

How many offers are usually made for full fee places?

Thank you!
Anxiousmum84

Post by Anxiousmum84 »

We have received a full fee paying offer too. I had already had an Interview with the burser to confirm that I had the means to pay fees etc.
coffeemom

Post by coffeemom »

Thank you. Could I ask when you had your meeting with the bursar? Ours is going to be in March after national offer day. Did you request an assisted place originally or just a full fee place?
marshmallow40

Post by marshmallow40 »

I have received a letter from KEHS today and they have said my daughter is on a waiting list. the admissions officer told me they only have 10 people on this and cannot tell me where my daughter is. Does anyone know how many places they over offer in the first instance and if my daughter has a good chance to get in? She has her heart set on that school.
We have gone for the full fee paying choice.

Does anyone know people refusing places in the first instance or do they all wait until March?
Anxiousmum84

Post by Anxiousmum84 »

coffeemom wrote:Thank you. Could I ask when you had your meeting with the bursar? Ours is going to be in March after national offer day. Did you request an assisted place originally or just a full fee place?

Yes it was around 2 weeks ago. I had requested assisted place but was advised I wasn’t eligible based on responses on the questionnaire sent out previously. They then arranged a meeting where they asked questions to seek clarity that I would be able to afford a full fee paying place.
JM40

Post by JM40 »

@marshmallow40 most parents will wait until March to keep their options open. The majority of girls who apply to KEHS will also have applied to grammar schools.
Anxiousmum84

Post by Anxiousmum84 »

marshmallow40 wrote:I have received a letter from KEHS today and they have said my daughter is on a waiting list. the admissions officer told me they only have 10 people on this and cannot tell me where my daughter is. Does anyone know how many places they over offer in the first instance and if my daughter has a good chance to get in? She has her heart set on that school.

Does anyone know people refusing places in the first instance or do they all wait until March?
If there are only 10 on a waiting list I really would not worry at all! I know of 5 girls already that have been offered a place and are not going to be accepting.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Anxiousmum84 wrote:
marshmallow40 wrote:I have received a letter from KEHS today and they have said my daughter is on a waiting list. the admissions officer told me they only have 10 people on this and cannot tell me where my daughter is. Does anyone know how many places they over offer in the first instance and if my daughter has a good chance to get in? She has her heart set on that school.

If there are only 10 on a waiting list I really would not worry at all! I know of 5 girls already that have been offered a place and are not going to be accepting.

the thing to be aware of is that many independent schools over-offer, some by a factor of 2 or more as they know that a significant number won't take the place. Nevertheless being on a short waiting list is encouraging
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now