KEHS Scholarships and Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

coffeemom

Re: KEHS Scholarships and Results

Post by coffeemom »

Is anyone able to offer advice/experience of proving ability to pay full fees? We will be releasing equity to pay- should this be done prior to their meeting with the bursar or is a mortgage in principle enough? We cannot afford to pay from salary alone but our income is sufficient to meet additional mortgage costs if that makes sense. We are prepared to make sacrifices for our daughter to go to the school but have concerns that the school may not agree and withdraw the place. Our income is on the low side but are outgoings are also currently low meaning we can stretch ourselves that bit further. Any advice welcome
marshmallow40

Post by marshmallow40 »

Thanks for the responses. It is encouraging. I know 2 girls refusing their offers and one is a scholarship (due to distance - it won't work for the family). Does anyone know how many offers went out for KEHS even though they do only have the 90 places?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

marshmallow40 wrote:Thanks for the responses. It is encouraging. I know 2 girls refusing their offers and one is a scholarship (due to distance - it won't work for the family). Does anyone know how many offers went out for KEHS even though they do only have the 90 places?

Like most independents they will significantly over offer as they know that many children only take the exam as a back up or will only take a place if they get help with funding.

They all take a best guess based on previous years - sometimes it backfires and they have more acceptances than expected. One school in London handles the problem by offering lots of places but to secure one firmly you have to get deposit and forms back to the school ASAP, all places can be gone in a couple of days
double_aces

Post by double_aces »

@coffeemum

Although I don't have direct experience with KES, my sister's children attend an independent school, and proof of income is typically required, especially if it's not from direct income - the school do not want to be in a situation where there is a potential funding gap.

I'm sure you've already thought about this, but other things to potential consider (especially if you have a fixed sum of money for fees) is the above inflation rises in school fees, the add-ons (including uniform, trips, etc.), and from what I've heard as the children age the potential for competition amongst students / parents for material possessions (i.e. latest iPhone, etc). No child wants to be the outlier

Just a heads up, but you've probably already considered all this.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now