KES vs Solihull School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JustmeUK

KES vs Solihull School

Post by JustmeUK »

Just wondered if anyone has strong opinions either way? DS has offers from both. No scholarships :P. We're in the middle in terms of travel though KES is probably just that little bit closer.

FWIW, DS is bright but not the most motivated child hence not considering the grammars. (Having older girl at KECHG really makes the point as I really would worry he would hate the pressure they put her under from day 1 - though she loves it and is thriving). I'm kinda edging to Solihull as they appear to be more relaxed and more sports and less academic focused? Happy to be corrected if that is not the case.
Obfuscate

Re: KES vs Solihull School

Post by Obfuscate »

I'd go KES if your only distinguishing point is on whether a sport oriented school career can be nurtured at either school. KES has plenty of such opportunities (easily as many as Solihull) to keep such children content, but with the additional bonus of superior academic outcomes, should one choose to pursue that also. Bit of a "public school cliche" here but I would go so far as to say that excelling in sports provides a small advantage at KES as compared with excelling academically - the former is mainly a natural ability, the latter can often be acquired if necessary through enough hard work.
KenR

Re: KES vs Solihull School

Post by KenR »

Academically the main difference is that KES does IB in the 6th Form whereas Solihull does A levels. For those that want to pursue Science or Maths at University, then many people feel that IB doesn't cover the same subject depth as A levels and would put them at a disadvantage. (e.g to study Maths, many universities require Further Maths A level to be studied and there isn't an IB equivalent)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now