King Edward School Scholarship

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sirius001

King Edward School Scholarship

Post by Sirius001 »

Hi. I wonder if anyone here is familiar with scholarships for KES. The website says there are academic scholarships awarding between 5-50% off annual fees, but also, in addition, there are foundation scholarships for the top 5 students. Question is - can both academic and foundation scholarship be awarded together to the same student? If not, then the academic scholarships must be from 6th boy downwards?
hermanmunster

Re: King Edward School Scholarship

Post by hermanmunster »

I presume that must be the case, they are keen to support as many pupils as possible so can't imagine they get a foundation scholarship + academic - the financial value of any of these can be topped up by bursaries.

the value of any type of scholarships is essentially the same and just indicate that the source of funding may nominally be from different sources - decades ago they would give foundation scholarships and KE scholarships (for more senior years) - in most cases the value was in the title not the funds as most places were funded anyway.
Sirius001

Post by Sirius001 »

Thanks for your response, HermanMunster. I read a thread about KES scholarship on this forum where a parent said someone's son had been given full fees remission despite the parents being high earners and the maximum remission being only 50%. With that in mind, I thought maybe both academic and foundation scholarships could have been awarded to that bright pupil. However, having said that, the foundation scholarship amount of award is not stated so it could be worth 100% if that boy was a pupil the school were desperate to retain.
Yes, you are correct to say that scholarships in other schools are nominal for title only.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think I know the thread you mention (2017?) - it was "a friend" of the person posting and entirely possible that some people were being economical with the truth - some people love to say that they have a 100% scholarship - the school is never going to deny it as all the info is confidential, these are genuinely only given when financial circumstances call for it - if a school gave a 100% scholarship without means testing they would risk their charitable status which could cost them £££££++++
Sirius001

Post by Sirius001 »

I know someone's son who was given a full scholarship at Solihull School. There were two available per year and advertised widely for the 11+ exam. Now the amount of scholarship at Solihull School is nominal and just honorary.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Sirius001 wrote:I know someone's son who was given a full scholarship at Solihull School. There were two available per year and advertised widely for the 11+ exam. Now the amount of scholarship at Solihull School is nominal and just honorary.
Solihull school used to effectively have something like 36 full scholarships per year ( I am talking 60s-70s) - the local authority were short of boys' grammar school places and funded a form a the public school for those who opted to go there and passed the exam with the highest scores.
Sirius001

Post by Sirius001 »

I see. I'm talking about early nineties. I'm told there were 2 full scholarships per year and they were advertised as such. It was a boys only school at the time. Things have changed since.
KenR

Post by KenR »

They offer very few full "non means tested" scholarships. The only ones that I am aware of that are full however are the Music Scholarships. Both KES and the KEHS girls school normally offer 1 each each. However you have to be a seriously good musician to be awarded one. I think that Roberto Ruisi (Leader of the National Youth Orchestra of GB) some years ago may have been awarded one!

KES (and KEHS) tend to favour the "Means Tested" assisted places scheme although they do offer a small number of "reduced fees" academic scholarships typically worth about 12.5% of fees.
Sirius001

Post by Sirius001 »

KenR, does that mean then that the max academic 50% fee remission is just a dream? :D

Just in the interest of discussion, is what you are saying from personal knowledge?

I know a girl who, recently, was given a 10% academic fee remission scholarship for KEHS based on her exam performance. Her parental income did not qualify for an assisted place.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Sirius001 wrote:KenR, does that mean then that the max academic 50% fee remission is just a dream? :D

Just in the interest of discussion, is what you are saying from personal knowledge?

I know a girl who, recently, was given a 10% academic fee remission scholarship for KEHS based on her exam performance. Her parental income did not qualify for an assisted place.
My personal knowledge is quite a few years old now. (DD went to KEHS and DS went to KEFW although he he did get offered a small academic scholarship for KES). You can probably get the latest information on scholarships from the KE Foundation office. I do know that they radically changed the scholarship funding 4-5 years ago away from academic scholarships towards the then new revised "means tested" assisted places scheme. This was their response to criticism from the press and general public opinion that the top Independent Schools were too elitist. There was also the threat from the Charity Commission that their charitable status could be removed unless they could demonstrate public benefit.

10% academic scholarship for KEHS sounds correct based on exam results although these are the exception for KEHS as they are not as wealthy as KES.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now