Reading and Comprehension

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
newdawn

Post by newdawn »

Thanks.

There is an "educational theorist" friend of mine, not quite sure what they do, who used to say " all reading is good reading, good reading is all reading"

Not sure if that was made up or a famous quote.

Basically if they want to read fiction, non-fiction, sport, horses, wrestling!! it does not matter, they are reading.

Makes sense I suppose.
lion63

Post by lion63 »

newdawn wrote:Basically if they want to read fiction, non-fiction, sport, horses, wrestling!! it does not matter, they are reading.

Below is an excerpt from yesterday's Sports page, Times.
The writing is catchy and draws the reader into the atmosphere of the game. The sentence structure is sophisticated and the vocabulary is rich.

Read the sports pages together with your sons to improve their reading and comprehension while at the same time enjoying reliving the game.

... celebrated his first victory ...., a result that lifted ..... out of the... at the expense of .....

A ... victory over... left ....in rapturous mood, with .. contemplating the probability of life.

On an evening that showcased the best and worst of ..— the noise, the atmosphere and the grim fact of a desperate battle against the drop — .. emerged with renewed hope. With a .. this weekend, followed by a....,their fate remains in their own hands, but.... warned that there was still “a long way to goâ€
fm

Post by fm »

Very good tip for reluctant male readers who may be sports mad.

The quality of the prose does not surprise me. My daughter's ex went to Cambridge with the usual clutch of O and A, and his sole ambition is to be a sports reporter.
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

The Sunday Times has has a pull out section entitled "In Gear". It contains info on cars, reviews of games and new gadgets on the market etc. It also has a profile of a different sports person each week and covers a wide variety of sports. Again, this may appeal to boys but some of the sports details may be relevant to girls... tennis, skiing for example.
lion63

Post by lion63 »

fm wrote:My daughter's ex went to Cambridge with the usual clutch of O and A, and his sole ambition is to be a sports reporter.
Do we know each other? 8)
clarendon wrote:The Sunday Times has has a pull out section entitled "In Gear". It contains info on cars, reviews of games and new gadgets on the market etc.
For some reason, this section always gets mysteriously mislaid by the females in the household. But I do agree it is a good read ;also great conversation topics as long as you can steer it away from, "Can I have....(insert name of expensive gadget)... for my birthday/Christmas/passing my truly arduous exams?"
newdawn

Post by newdawn »

You can generate your own cloze tests, on whatever subject matter you like, using the software below.

Simply copy a passage of text and follow the instructions. Kids love it when they can pick there own "quiz material"

http://www.oup.com/elt/global/products/ ... ls/preint/
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now