KE format of exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KE hopeful

KE format of exams

Post by KE hopeful »

Hi,

My dd is desperate to get into Camp Hill and I want to support her the best I can. I am diy tutoring (despite mixed opinions on this). She is quite bright so I am hoping she won't need too much help.

I have spent a while following the the forum - there is some great information about the past exams, but I still have a few questions:

Can anyone pm me any of the past "familiarisation" papers that you get sent out when you apply to do the tests?

Have the questions all been multiple choice format?

I have read fm's account of the test - when they say there were 80 synonyms to do in 10 minutes - and other sections to do in 12 minutes etc - does this mean the paper gets taken away after 10 minutes, or is this a guide time for the children to work to?

My final question - in the last couple of years have they done comprehensions and then removed the text before answering the questions? Or are the children allowed to refer to the text?

Any help is appreciated. The site is a fantastic resource, Thanks!
fm

Post by fm »

I think your information is a little old.

There are no longer 80 words but 56.

They are not allowed to go back in the test booklet.

There were 2 comprehensions this year. The text was not removed. You are referring to the proofreading which you used to be in the first paper, then you had questions on it in the second paper. This has not been done for 2 years.

The familiarisation papers are 2 sides of A4, giving the multiple choice format of the test. They don't actually tell you much --neither the complexity of the questions or the content. They just give you a very vague idea.
KE hopeful

Post by KE hopeful »

Thanks - that has cleared my mind a bit. I understand the test could change completely, but it is good to get a feel for it to make my daughter feel as comfortable with it all as possible.
KenR

Post by KenR »

I posted the following resource information on the Warwickshire forum but this will also be useful for B/Ham KE Exam parents who are self tutoring their children for the Univ of Durham tests:
Hi All

The Using English Site also contains links to some other free resources - worth hunting around.

See http://www.usingenglish.com/test/

I particularly like the free English tests available at

http://www.english-test.net/

These have a series of 1 sentence online Cloze and Synonym tests with a word choice format that is similar to the Univ of Durham tests.

Worth checking out

Hope this helps

Ken
KE hopeful

Post by KE hopeful »

Thanks - any advice is much appreciated. There seems to be a wealth of resources on the Internet - it is just a matter of finding them.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now