Open Days - It starts Again

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

za1

Headmaster

Post by za1 »

My son (year 7 - Rugby team B - football kid new to rugby) - has enjoyed the sessions that the Head has taken. He said he likes the Head and this appears to be a view shared by the other team members.

It was his 1st year as Headmaster last year. In his first year , KECHB had record GCE and A level results (obviously nothing to do with the Headmaster - but was still a good start). He will be judged better in 3 or 4 years time. I understand the previous headmaster was a character and an expert public speaker (not somthing Mr Roden can be accused of ). But - did the previous head take year 7 rugby classes? Probably not. My 1 minute chat with Mr Roden at the induction evening left me with the impression that he was a likeable sort of chap.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I quite like what little I've seen of Mr Roden so far. I imagine CHB can pretty much have it's pick when it comes to choosing a new head so I think we can expect great things (if not necessarily roof-raising speeches). Coaching the Y7s is a brilliant move IMHO. I must have missed the glimmer of Y7 success amongst the plethora of "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" stories from other years... :wink:

Mike
za1

Post by za1 »

mike1880 wrote: Coaching the Y7s is a brilliant move IMHO.
Totally agree.......great way to make an initial and lasting impression on a new year 7 pupil.

He seems a nice chap. Good luck to him.
BB248

Post by BB248 »

After having been a little deterred by some of the comments about Camp Hill (from postings on this site etc), I went along to CHB open day thinking that it I wasn't going to like it if it was indeed an exam / cramming factory. I was so pleasantly surprised by the place & people. What a great, small, friendly school! And I agree, whilst head may not be the greatest natural orator, he certainly seems like a decent man, who greatly cares about his school & its pupils.
za1

schools

Post by za1 »

Hi BB248 -In my opinion, the key things are :

- the best school for you and your child is the one which impresses both of you based on Open Days etc.

- We are very lucky in Birmingham. We have the choice of no less then 9 grammar schools (2 KECH, KEA, KE5W, KEH, BV, QM, HG, SG) and some excellent independent schools. If your son/daughter attends any of these excellent schools - then you know that they are getting a great education and the rest is really up to their own efforts/abilities.

- If your child is bright and motivated, they will succeed at any school. The grammar schools simply provide (in theory) a more focused environment.

- In my view I think it is a good idea to ignore generic comments that you hear about certain schools. Some of these are baseless or based on gossip rather then fact. The best advice is a) your own instincts on visiting the school b) comments from kids who already attend the schools and their parents views c) comments from people whose views deserve some respect based on their knowledge and personal experiences (people like Fm, Kenr, Mike1880 etc).

Good luck to you and your son...hope you get KE5W....excellent school.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

people whose views deserve some respect based on their knowledge and personal experiences
:oops: Steady on! Let me remind you I've got exactly 3 weeks second-hand experience of CHB. Come back in about 5 years and ask me again...

Mike
BB248

Post by BB248 »

za1

I think I was trying to make the same point as you make, only I wasn't as eloquent or clear. It looks like I have inadvertently got you riled you - that wasn't my intention.

We very nearly didn't see CHB and when we did it was at the 11th hour. My comments weren't directed at you or at parents who have seen the school, are happy with it and have boys there who are obviously thriving, but rather at those of us who rather resemble rabbits in headlights, as we struggle to do the best by our kids. All I'd say to these parents is, don't make the mistake I almost made by nearly shutting off an option before considering it fairly. After weeks of traipsing around schools, we went along to CHB with little enthusiasm, and only really as a "ticking off the last one" type of exercise. We nearly didn't go at all. THAt would, i believe, have been a shame. And the same wld be true for any school that was dismissed without being seen - so I agree, don't listen to the gossip. Go & form your own opinion, is all I wanted to say - you might be surprised!

Apologies once again if I rattled a cage....
Last edited by BB248 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
za1

BB248

Post by za1 »

BB248...

You honestly did not rattle any cage whatsoever! :D

It's just my writing style I'm afraid. I was just trying to clarify some points and maybe did it in a rather 'officious' manner.

Anyway - good luck in your quest.

8)
fm

Post by fm »

Actually, call me a mere woman, but I think the two of you are actually agreeing with each other.
za1

school

Post by za1 »

Yes fm - you're right. Absolutely no offence was taken on my part. I am not in any way protective of KECHB just because my son goes there. It will suit some people and not others. It's an individual taste.

Based on personal experience - I am by no means an expert in any way on the whole grammar school process. But 2 years ago, I didn't have a clue. I relied on snippets of information by word of mouth. The point I wanted to make was to stress the need to rely on your own research and the points of view of people with more relevant experiences.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now