Well Saturday looms...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fm

Post by fm »

Actually it does make some sort of sense.

If you have 3000 children doing the exam, then the top 25% would be 750 children over both schools. If you add the 274 places offered, the children who also reached this score but chose Walsall in preference, all the children who chose KE in preference and all the ones who did pass but did it solely as practice and did not include Sutton on their preference form, then it probably does come to about 700 odd.
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

Thanx for the reassurance with the figures Mike...If all the kids come out saying it was EASY then doesn't it just push the pass mark higher ..i.e. make it more difficult to get a place. I am counting on this one as an insurance if he doesn't get KE place, this was choice 3. My son said NVR was the easiest, then Maths and then VR. He did have plenty of time to check his answers, and guessed 2 antonyms, one of which he got wrong whe he came home and checked!!

I think it was xxxxx xxxxxx Not sure though... :!:

Moderators Note: actual exam content removed as there will be a 2nd exam using the same papers for those children ill on the day - KenR
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

If all the kids come out saying it was EASY then doesn't it just push the pass mark higher
The "raw" score needed to pass would be higher if it was genuinely easier - but it wouldn't be any harder to pass because it would be higher for everyone, if that makes sense. The joys of standardised scores...

Mike
um

Post by um »

my son did the test at castle vale and i am still annoyed with the council about the mess they made of it.
my husband arrived at 8.10am with him so parked in the car park. the kids had to all line up outside in the freezing cold for ages. my son was 1st but then 4 families came and pushed in front of them! he rang me on his dads mobile while waiting and said he was scared of the guys - they're not teachers he said, they're really rough and they're like bouncers.
husband was not allowed in so son had to hand in paper etc himself.
some kids were in the hall, my son was in the gym and said it was absolutely freezing he was shivering with cold and the toilets were filthy and he was glad he got to them first in the break when he cam out the queues were terrible.
the clock on the wall was broken the examiner used her mobile to time the exam. luckily he had a watch.
they also took one of his pencils to give to a child who had come without one. really they should have their own stock of pencils and there was a reason my son had a few pencils because he presses really hard and they gp blunt quick, he needed one per test. so taking one off him wasn't really fair.
before the maths exam the kids were a bit rowdy settling down, my son says the examiner shouted ' if i see anyone talk in this exam i will come and rip your paper up in front of your face'. my son says he felt scared and 'a shiver ran down his back'.
fortunately he felt the exam was easier than expected but he came down really ill yesterday with a chill and fever which was probably due to sitting in the cold for so long. i am really mad at this, he's still really unwell and is off school today.
i don't think it is fair that at one venue parents can come in wheras at the other they can't even hand in the kids form with them at the entrance. and why couldn't they put the heating on? i am fed up with birmingham council, it can't do anything properly.
Milla

Post by Milla »

Um, that sounds ABSOLUTELY OUTRAGEOUS!!! I am furious on your behalf at each and every thing you've related. I do so hope he managed to do OK with such a terrible set up. I'd complain, really I would.
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

OMG Um that sounds terrible I really feel sorry for your little boy. Hopefully his work was unaffected as he sounds like hes very bright. On the other hand if a child who was already really scared would probably have suffered even more. Everyone else locally had to go to Castle Vale, it was only because I was laye handing the form in we got Saltley school, but thank god it was peaceful...although we also waited in the cold outside for half an hour as they were running late. I didn't arrive early on purpose as I thought it would only make him more nervousnseeing all the childre. and luckily we only lived 5 minutes away. Where is everyone sitting the KE exams?We are taking them at Sutton Coldfield College, which is pretty decent..as long as they put the heating on!!!!!

FTM
um

Post by um »

my son is sitting the ke exam at kes, but i have a feeling they will behave more professionally. i'll make sure he has his thermals on though! poor kid is still ill and off school.
my husband is still shocked at how rude the staff were at castle vale, and he's normally a very laid back person.
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

Hi! I chatted to a couple of friends at the kids school and two of them are also off school due to a virus!!!They all had really bad experience I think you should all complain. Apparently it was the same last year.

Hows everyones last minute prep going??

My DS is pretty much fed up now and it is a constant struggle to get him to do even the work for his tutor...he's given up on reading..I'm really stressed out!

FTM
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Um, KES will definitely be much better. My son sat his exam there last year and as it was our first encounter with KES, we were quite impressed.

It wasn't cold but then again, he was wearing a jumper! They also had very friendly staff who gave out spare pencils, rubbers and sharpeners to any child who had forgotten to bring them along. My husband also had time to settle DS in.

Anyhow, good luck. He'll be fine!
stressedaddy

Post by stressedaddy »

My DS is pretty much fed up now and it is a constant struggle to get him to do even the work for his tutor...he's given up on reading..I'm really stressed out!
I may be in the same league as you. We went to parents eveniong last night for my son who is year 6, and I nearly died of a heart attack. They sat mock Sats for year 6, and he got a 3a in maths and a 4c in English. He got 4a's and 4b's at end of year 5. He's been working towards KEGS exams for Nov. I hit the roof when I heard his results. I AM REALLY stressed out, couldn't sleep, worried, and in a real painic.

Any adice on how to turn things around would be APPRECIATED very much.

Thank you.