Those emotions are back

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stressedaddy

Those emotions are back

Post by stressedaddy »

I thought that I would share the feelings that I am going through as I sit here typing this out. The whole 11+ plus process has reminded me of the time when my two children were born. The father's perspective, I'm usually in control of myself and able to judge and act on most things that are thrown at me. My wife sees me as the soul and life-line and I in turn regard her as my rock, on which we have built our foundation (sounds cheesy, but bear with me). When my wife giving birth to our first son, I stood there is theatre, trembling, tears in my eyes, shaking and totally scared s*****less, knowing that I was not in control and relying on the doctors/nurses. Finally, after frantic activities from the medical crew, our son started breathing and crying, it seemed that all was fine. I nearly fainted with excitement and relief, and at the very moment, and I remember it like yesterday, I couldn't express enough gratitude to the doctors/nurses, and if I had been a rich man, I'd given them every penny for the health of our son.

The second time around, with our second son, it was no better, I still went through the same emotions and roller coaster ride.

My point?, the whole eleven plus has left me filled with emotion, not in control and drained of energy, and I have those same emotions all over again. could I do it again? Ummmm….let's see …no, we only have two children and my wife's nagging me to have the op.

This forum has shown me that that I am not the only one who regards education as being very important and I am glad, as my father once told me, "your job can be taken away, but your education can not be"

:?
Kegs Mom 3

Post by Kegs Mom 3 »

Loved the post, stressedaddy and just wanted to say, a massive GOOD LUCK to all in Brum and your DC for the big day tomorrow! :lol:
Thankfully not 'going through it' this year, but I remember the feelings so well.
Oldest DS, Lower 6th KECH, will be attending, to do the 'meet and greets,' so I will have a DS there but without all the stress!
Second DS remembers being cold when he took his tests at CH, two years ago. I don't know if this year will be any different, but I would suggest a warm, (but not bulky!) jumper/fleece, just to be on the safe side, unless any one from last year has any contrary advice?!
GOOD LUCK all, you've done all you can, you're almost there, thinking of you all....
Milla

Post by Milla »

ah, that was lovely, stressedaddy! My husband fainted at the first birth (they hit an artery slicing through); 3 of my 18 staff (ah, staff, happy days!) were sucked away to help him. He now denies all this. But, yes, emotional stuff indeed.

I am SO with you on the control thing. I think I've posted about this in Glos (where I rightly belong!) - have realised I am a terrible control freak and it's this LETTING THEM GO AND TAKE THE TEST ON THEIR OWN!! (yes! shouting!) which is so alien. I mean I'll let them run off through the field for hours with just their mates so I'm not a hovering ninny in that way, but to think that somehow, from that squirming little moppet he's suddenly, supposedly, in the position to answer 160 nasty questions is hard to get my head round.

Mind you, I still feel protective of my brother, and smile to see him hold a pencil in his stumpy fist. He's 42, speaks 4 languages and is a successful journalist. Yet still I remember it was ME (shhh, stop shouting, Milla) who got him his "A"s in French and Maths "O" Level. Born to sacrifice, me.

Anyway. Am feeling giddy and a little bit adrenaline-rich, sense-poor. Good luck to yours, stressedaddy and to all others on the site taking tests tomorrow. They've got good parents and will give it their best shot and then we can all start to be normal people again. Maybe.
confusedmom

Post by confusedmom »

Thanks for that stressedaddy! :oops:
Have now had to try and pull myself together after brusting into tears at work after reading that!
Think about that moment no-matter what results we all get on the 01/03/2010 as we are all sooooo lucky to have the children we have no matter what places are given out...... good grief here comes the flood gates again......think i'm a little stressed cant think why!!! :wink:
serialtester

Post by serialtester »

What a lovely post StressedDaddy!

When my son was born it was very 'stressful' and we had those awful few moments of wondering if he'd make it.....and this is very similar in some ways!

My lad is one of the youngest in his year group, in KS1 he had an IEP and was part of the SEN group. Now he's a high flier in his Y6 class - but he suffers from an awful lack of confidence, and it's more stressful because his big sisters have both got into KE schools.

He is pretty sanguine tonight, but I'm having the long dark tea time of the soul wondering if I've done the right thing.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!