newport girls , shropshire

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
usa

Post by usa »

Cheer up Res Mum and I hope you come back to the Forum. If you moved to the SE England I think you would find you would not be alone in putting your child in for various entrance tests. In fact, you would be the odd one out if you didnt. Parents in London Borough Sutton (lucky things they have 6 choices) put their children in for Sutton Boys, Tiffin and Wilson and possibley even Glyn - so that is 4. The girls will also sit Tiffin/Nonsuch and 1 other. It is common practice - you have 6 choices, may as well use them. As for preparing - if you sit for 1, with so much effort put in, you may as well do another. It gets the children used to sitting exams. Must never put all your eggs in 1 basket - if they dont pass the 1st, hopefully they will pass the 2nd or 3rd. So, what you did was right for your child (and I know not everyone will feel the same) and family circumstances, but it doesnt suit everyone. Most people, if they had the choice of 3 grammar sch within commuting distance (eg London) will put their children in for each. Good luck to you & yr child! USA
resmum

Resmum

Post by resmum »

Thank you for your kind words USA (and others) . I was determined not to return to the forum until I saw your message. And congratulations on successfully coaching your child through the eleven+ when you are living on another continent. Hope your transition back to the UK goes well. We have also returned to the UK from overseas when our children were younger.

The whole thing is rather a storm in a teacup as the school in question isn't even very high on our list (in fact we've ranked it below a comprehensive within travelling distance of our current home).

I'm glad too that others have pointed out that children become quite blase about the tests when they've already done one or two. I believe quite a few people from outside Bucks do the Bucks tests as a practice run for the very selective grammars in North London.

Anyway, I am happy to walk away from this particular thread but hope I'll still be able to contribute some useful information to the forum - though I'll obviously be more guarded in my remarks in future.

resmum
Hiddlydiddly

Clover

Post by Hiddlydiddly »

Sorry I did not get to see your post re: Newport. I think parents have got a little stressed (its to be expected) - I have found the 11+ an outstanding birth control method - after 2 consecutive 11+ years, we shall not be having any more children!

Seriously, everyone is entitled to an opnion, its just that some describe the approach they have adopted for their children as some sort of prescription for others. Vive la difference!

I hope you all get what you are looking for (as long as it does not stop my child getting in to the school of her choice......only joking.
Hiddlydiddly

Great news

Post by Hiddlydiddly »

Looking back to this section of the forum its hard to imagine that all those month ago my daughter sat the exam. Well a wonderful e-mail from Telford arrived tonight and she got an offer of a place. I am so pleased for her, she is a great child and fully deserves the place.

I hope everyone else gets what they are looking for.

Cheers

Martin
Heidi

Post by Heidi »

Great news,Hiddly Diddly /Joanna,

Hope to hear the same news by post tomorrow or maybe TTS.

Well Done
Darren

Post by Darren »

Well Done Martin..

Really pleased for you...

Darren

Post by Guest »

Hiddlydiddly,

Congratulations on your news!

My son is in Year 5 and will be sitting for Adams this year. I see that your son is there. Do you have any tips about what to expect or any particular preparation? We went to look around earlier this year and were really impressed. My son was particularly impressed with the games pitches!!

Did you add much supporting evidence to your application?

Thanks very much.

Dawn
Hiddlydiddly

Post by Hiddlydiddly »

Hi Guest

Thanks for your congratulations.

With regard to Adams, I can only tell you how we did it. In the first term of Year 6 we started working on Sundays using the NfER Nelson Papers. He attempted one per Sunday. His scores were good to start with and improved with practice. However after a month or so they levelled off. So having found this website, I ordered some books (I forget which ones), which had the questions in type order, rather than mixed up like the actual tests. The repeating of the questions helped my son and as went back to the NfEr Tests his scores improved. We laid off over Christmas and on the day before the Adams test in the first week in January, he did one of each of the NfER tests (excluding the English) under exam conditions and he did well.

I am of the view that I was really only preparing him for the exam (technique, conditions etc). If he had struggled from day one with the concepts in the VR and NVR tests I am not sure I would have practiced much more. As it was he understood them and some advice on technique helped. I did not want him to be overcoached, as I would rather he flourished at a less demanding school than struggled at an excellent one.

But, as they say each to his own! You will know your child best.

As for supporting evidence. We only completed the single side of A4 requested and really impressed upon them what a good sensible lad he was, who really loved the atmosphere of the school when we/he visited. It is a very caring school and the boys appear to be great ambassadors for the school. School pride is very important at Adams. We just felt he would fit it to such a caring place - which he has done and absolutely loves it.

I hope that helps and good luck.

Hiddlydiddly
Heidi

Post by Heidi »

Hiddly Diddly, received great news by post this morning, my daughter has also got a place at Newport and TTS. I will let her choose but she has always preferred Newport. I am so happy and can't wait to tell her.

Letter states that 36 were from out of area this year, quite high?
Don't know yet if any of her friends got a place so will have to play it low key at school gates.

Well done to your daughter again.

Post by Guest »

Thanks Hiddlydiddly,

My son has completed a few papers and has done well with them. He is in top set Maths and English and is predicted level 5's in his SATs at the end of year 5. I am confident that he has the ability, but I think that he needs to practice technique and also the speed.

Thanks again.

Dawn
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now