Who Knows......

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KenR

Post by KenR »

I think this is possible but not sure if it's probable. I recall seeing a tender a few years ago from a local authority for a software solution to manage the whole of the LEA admissions process.

I recall there was a complex workflow included in the requirements and this did include multiple information transfers between authorities, schools and other LEAs well ahead of the national allocation date. Some of the allocation information was available at a very early date (Nov in some cases)

There were also numerous quality checks to ensure consistency and also to avoid accusations of bias in favour or against certain primary schools. No doubt is a primary school achieved very high success rates then the LEA may want to audit the exam mechanism in advance of national allocation day.
stressedaddy

Post by stressedaddy »

I recall there was a complex workflow included in the requirements and this did include multiple information transfers between authorities, schools and other LEAs well ahead of the national allocation date. Some of the allocation information was available at a very early date (Nov in some cases)

There were also numerous quality checks to ensure consistency and also to avoid accusations of bias in favour or against certain primary schools. No doubt is a primary school achieved very high success rates then the LEA may want to audit the exam mechanism in advance of national allocation day.
KenR, know you've got me really confussed, my intellect can't cope with this reply. You don't for NASA do you?
freddy

Post by freddy »

Thanks both for your advice, I'm all prepared for next week now !!!
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Stressedaddy

If you saw the workflow and information flows involved in the process you would be amazed at how they are able to allocate any child to any school! Really complex.

I believe many authorities use software supplied from Capita to handle the allocations and information flows.
stressedaddy

Post by stressedaddy »

the workflow and information flows involved in the process you would be amazed at how they are able to allocate any child to any school! Really complex.
Now I'm really depressed......
lindah162

Post by lindah162 »

Can i just ask about waiting lists and being informed. If your child will be put on the waiting list are you automatically informed of this or do you only find out if you write and ask for the scores?

Also, I know you would write to the foundation office of the King Edward schools but how do you contact BV or QM for the scores?Is it directly to the schools themselves?

As you can probably see I am stressed and preparing for the worst!
fm

Post by fm »

No, I don't believe you are automatically informed. You need to request your scores and, when you get them, you shall see where you are placed.

Statistically few people do achieve a place off the waiting list. With about 3000+ sitting for 600 or so places, only about 30 or so will be lucky to get in off the waiting list.

Two years ago the Sutton results were posted to us but that did not happen last year. You needed to request the results from Birmingham Education Authority.

If you really are concerned that it will be bad news, then I suggest you have letters with SAE's ready to post so you don't have to do them when you are upset and you won't have to wait too long to get an answer.

I am afraid I don't know about QM as few of my pupils ever do it.
liesauk

Post by liesauk »

That is strange fm that you say you had to request results from Sutton, I pressume as it seems we are talking about boys you mean Bishop Vessey, because Sutton Girls School sent theirs out last year?

I wonder why the two schools have adopted a different attitude to letting parents know? I do hope that SCGSG continue to send out the results as I tihnk it is one stress a parent can do without!
:wink:

liesa
x

:lol:
fm

Post by fm »

Sorry, Liesa, I may have remembered events wrongly.

In March 2008, they certainly sent the scores to everybody who sat the exam, regardless of whether they were allocated places at BV or Sutton, or whether it was their first choice or not, because all of my pupils received them despite being allocated KE places.

In March 2009, while several of my pupils also sat the Sutton exams, the scores were not sent out automatically to all of them. That said, I have just recalled that one did know her Sutton scores almost immediately, being the only one who had put a Sutton school at the top of her list. The rest had all won a place further up their list to a KE school, and, if they wanted to know their Sutton score, they had to request it.

So sorry, everyone, for the misleading information. It looks like they may send you the Sutton scores if it is your first choice, regardless of whether you have passed or not, but not if you have won a place somewhere further up your list (because arguably why would you then care).

What I don't know is what happens if you have put KE schools first and have not won a place, and the Sutton schools afterwards and have/have not won a place. Possibly they have a mechanism in their computer system to realise that the Sutton scores would be of interest to someone in this situation. Maybe someone can enlighten us?
freddy

Post by freddy »

Fm, just wondered if you could answer this for me - not that I'm being really negative about the whole thing !!!
Our LEA sends email notifications after 5pm on the 1st, I understand Birmingham send theirs after midnight on the 1st. Would it be wise to take the letter into the foundation office requesting scores on the 1st before I even know result just so my request is towards the top of the pile so to speak and the waiting doesn't go on even longer ???
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now