KE Foundation Grammars - Pass Scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
serialtester

Post by serialtester »

stressedaddy wrote:Hello All,

Had the news that my second son didn't make the cut and get into KEFW where his older brother goes. He cried for a good fews hours, his mother is beside herself. I feel confused and very disappointed but I have to be realistic and have a fall back plan for him.

I have written to the KEGS Foundation office to get marks and number on waiting list.

The advice I would like is - At what point on the waiting list should I feel, yes my son has a chance. If he is 300 something, I amy as well giveup and move on. However if he scored say, 10 off the last child, do we have a chance?

Your thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

A very very dejected father.....
Did you have Aston or HBGS on your list and has he been offered those?

If he's been offered Aston then I'd say that he'd be a reasonable way up the list.

It is a disappointment for anyone to feel that they haven't made the grade in some way - and in some ways it's even harder when you've already got older kids who've made the cut.

My advice to you would be this, look at where he's been offered, if you are happy for him to go there then start bigging it up to him to take his mind off the test results etc.. My DS was a bit downcast for a while on Saturday AM - but fast forward to today and he's already planned his route to school, who he'll call for and what he's going to buy from the newsagents on his way home from school each day!

Also, my son has seen the long day that my daughters have, the amount of homework they have and the pressure that is placed on them at times and he's starting to think that he had a lucky escape!

While you are bigging up his offered place, very quietly in the background gather your info re: scores, waiting lists etc..

I know it's a tough situation to be in, but honestly it's not the end of the world. Keep positive and keep your options open.

Good luck!
fm

Post by fm »

To Stresseddaddy,

I am afraid that, historically, you have had to be very close to the pass mark to be in with a chance. I once had a pupil 2 points off and he was about 7th on the waiting list; he eventually got into Aston about June of his year.

Similarly I know that children 2 points off Handsworth Girls' may eventually reach the top of the waiting list by August.

That said, if you are 2 points off, then you are ranked with other children with the same score in distance from the school order. Thus 2 points off may mean one child is 8th on the waiting list and eventually attains a place and another 16th and doesn't. There are often about 8 to 10 children clustered on the same score.

I would wait and reassess when you get his scores.
za1

hi

Post by za1 »

Stressdaddy

Sorry to hear about your disappointment. Would echo what fm has stated. It really depends on how many marks from the cutoff you are.

Wish you the best. I know it feels depressing now - but things work out fine in the end. Good Luck.
rits

Post by rits »

Hi
I have e-mailed the foundation office to find out my son's score. How long does it take to find out? He wanted 5ways and Aston. Thanks
serialtester

Post by serialtester »

rits wrote:Hi
I have e-mailed the foundation office to find out my son's score. How long does it take to find out? He wanted 5ways and Aston. Thanks
I emailed on monday and got them in the post yesterday.
ANGLIA

Post by ANGLIA »

to Fm, i've pm'd you.

anglia
KenR

Post by KenR »

Just wanted to clarify to people that with KE Grammars it's not actually a pass score, viz. not all children who achieve the "pass score" have offers, there are often quite a few on the "pass score" who are on the waiting list as they live a further distance away than others.

If you read the KE Foundation literature they talk about the score of the last child who was offered a place which is slightly different. There may be in theory 8-10 children who have achieved the "pass score" who are only on the waiting list.
rugbymom

Waiting list.

Post by rugbymom »

Hi.
Don't know if anyone can help, but my son took the exam for Aston.He is on the waiting list,and was a couple of marks under the lowest score to gain a place. Are his chances of getting in zero ???
Many thanks .
srk13

Post by srk13 »

liesauk wrote:I know you weren't interested in SCGSG, but in case anyone else is you needed 318 to get onto the waiting list. They are posting DD2's scores tonight.

liesa
xx
Just called up admission office for a friend's DD and found that cut off for SCGSG is now 323. This has been increased from the earlier figure of 318. But the person doesn't say why !!
BB248

Post by BB248 »

srk13

Liesauk posted the mark needed to go onto the WAITING LIST ie 318. The score of the last girl admitted in the allocations of 01.03.2010 was presumably 323. I guess those scoring bywm 318 and 322 are told that they are close as they may soon be offered places. I assume that accounts for the two different numbers.