When to start Preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

liesauk

When to start Preparation

Post by liesauk »

Hello, please bear with me this is my first post, so I apologise if this has been asked previously(which I imagine it has!).

My daughter's are in year 4,3 and 1. My two eldest daughters achieved lvl 3's in their SATS and my eldest daughter aged 8 is currently achieving way above average in school.

My question is I would like to think that they are clever enough to achieve entrance to a grammar school even on their own merit, but when does the headache begin? lol.

I don't want to start too early, and I don't want it to be too late. Please can you let me know when you started and any advice for girls this young, and what schools are available in the Birmingham area.

thank you all for being patient and reading such a long topic.

(this is a copy of a topic I posted in the wrong place :oops: )
SPIRIO

When to start preparation

Post by SPIRIO »

Dear Liesauk

I started preparation 2 years early for my daughter.

My postings and others in this thread :
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=805

Spirio
Sham

Post by Sham »

Hi Leisauk

The following link should be of some help;

http://elevenplusexams.co.uk/11-plus-bi ... .php#entry

Good luck

Sham
liesauk

Post by liesauk »

what really worries me is the fact that I do not understand the abbreviations used in these sites. NFER, AFN etc etc.

But thank you both for taking the time to post. I appreciate your views and your help.

liesa

Post by Guest »

hi Liesauk,
NFER, are the publishers of most of the 11 plus EXAMS.AFN, are publishers but their VR material are mor e appropriate for the bucks exams,along with others.You need to find out who publishesthe 11 plus test papers for your county and look into their material.;also youcan lookat the other counties on thisforum for appropriate 11 plus material/preparation.
hope this helps.

Post by Guest »

I have daughter in Year 10 at one of the grammar schools, and know how much work they get loaded with once they are there. Unless you want to be standing over your children supervising their homework, they need to be self starters.

I would suggest starting not before the beginning of year 5. Identify your child's weak spot, and get general workbooks from places like Smiths to try and get them moving. Concentrate on doing these during school hols to keep up momentum. During termtime, encourage your children to complete all work set by school; encourage recreational reading of both fiction and non-fiction; and turn off the TV (we don't have one). Get easy papers for younger age group at Easter in year 5, and then 11+ standard during summer hols.

Daughter number 2 is taking exam this Saturday; but is being very laid back as she actually prefers our local comp (Shireland Language School which has just had an outstanding Ofsted inspection and has an inspirational head). So if all else fails, move!! :wink:
Alicia

Post by Alicia »

Hello

I think the best time to prepare is about age 9.

The schools usually applied for are the King Edwards Grammar Schools or Sutton Coldfield Girls School. King Edwards, though, usually has 3000 applicants for the 5 or so schools they have.

I took the King Edward's exams and started preparation at about 10 or 11 but it really depends on the ability of your children.

I offer tutoring in Birmingham which could help your children and as I go to King Edward's now and am in Year 9 could tell you about the test and the preparation.

My email address is

[FORUMADMIN: PLEASE DO NOT ADVERTISE YOUR SERVICES. IF YOU WISH TO RECEIVE E-MAIL COMMUNICATION PLEASE REGISTER FREE AS A FORUM MEMBER AND MAKE USE OF THE PRIVATE MESSAGING SERVICE]
jah

Post by jah »

Hi Alicia

If you really are in Year 9, I think you ought to be concentrating on your homework rather than trying to earn cash. It has been shown that university undergraduates who take jobs get worse grades than those who don't.

I have a year 10 daughter and can tell you that you will soon be getting quite a hefty workload of homework and coursework; if it hasn't started already with SATS coming up. You also need to make time for non-school based activities.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Jah

If Alicia thinks she can do it then that is fine - loads of univeristy students do coaching for others in the yea below and it helps to consolidate their knowledge - not the same as pulling pints I think.

Also Alicia is at KEHS I think? correct me if I am wrong - but probably can manage the coaching and keep ahead of the work ( after all we did all our homework on the bus to Acock's Green) :wink:
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

Have to agree there Jah. My daughter is also in year 10 (but at Camp Hill - I think your daughter is at Handsworth?) and is feeling the pinch at the moment - peaks and troughs - at the moment we are having a bit of a peak! I wouldn't be letting her tutor for the 11 plus right now - she is still young and I want her to concentrate on her studies. 14 is a bit young to be acting as a tutor to a younger child - she certainly couldn't have been responsible for tutoring her younger sister, it would have been ****!

Alicia, you must have sat the old test for a KE school - the new test is a totally different kettle of fish. There is maths and English in it, whereas the test you did only had NVR and VR. Good luck with your studies.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now