Queen Mary's Walsall.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cherie

Queen Mary's Walsall.

Post by cherie »

Hi there,

I'm new on here and am a mom to 3 children, my eldest being 10. I was told when he was in yr4 that he is grammar school material and have been looking at a local(ish) grammar school which has an entrance exam. I've spoken to the head at our primary school and she said ds is definetly capable academically but would need training for the exams. I'm not really in a position financially at the moment to be able to have a tutor for him and just wondered if you can do it without or if you NEED one?

Also any advice on helping prepare him for the exam, what type of exam etc..... I really am clueless!

I would be greatful of any advice.
Many thanks Cherie
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Re: Queen Mary's Walsall.

Post by DIY Mum »

Hi Cherie, and welcome to the 11+ forum!

You'll find a wealth of information on this website about how to prepare your child for the exam. Posts by Fm are extremely beneficial. There are also parents who have gone on their own, without a tutor and have also been successful. If you scroll down- you'll find plenty of examples.

QM's exam is set by Durham University-CEM assessment. Birmingham Grammar schools (with the exception of Handsworth Boys) follow the same assessment.

If your child is bright then in my opinion, it makes the preparation even more easier. I was in a similar situation two years ago, my eldest being the eldest of five. I started to 'diy' my son four months before the exam. Thankfully, he was successful and gained his first choice at KECHB.

CEM assessment looks for students who are proficient readers, good spatial reasoning, are able to think fast, able mathematicians, problem solve etc. I found myself spending a lot of money on buying a wide range of resources: cds and books to prepare him for the exam. Feel free to pm me if you'd like.
Best of luck!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now