Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sss

What age to start private tuition?

Post by sss »

Hi all.

I am new to this forum.
I am searching for a tutor for my DD, who will be entering Year 4 next month. Having spoken to a few tutors, I am somewhat confused at what age tuition should start. Some have said Year 4, others Year 5 & a couple of people have said private tuition is not necessary.

I was wondering if anybody out there can give any advice?

Thanks.
Troy'sMum

Re: What age to start private tuition?

Post by Troy'sMum »

Hi,
I'm new to this too as my son is only entering yr2 but I have a friend with a son entering yr5 in Harborne and she said that a lot of the tutors were booked up when she started calling, so although you may not need to start the actual tutoring in yr4 it might be wise to start looking for tutors.

It would be nice if private tuition wasn't necessary but I think it is only fair to prepare them for what the exam might be like especially as many state schools do not teach the kids how to pass these exams. A lot of the time it is partly about learning techniques for answering questions and understanding what they are looking for.
All the mum's I've spoken to have said no matter how bright your child you should get some tuition (or at least do it yourself.
Perhaps look at the other thread on this forum from a novice mum asking same question.