11+ prep for completely novice mum. Pls help!!!!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fun1405

11+ prep for completely novice mum. Pls help!!!!!!

Post by fun1405 »

Hi, completely new to the whole 11+ concept. DS going to yr5 and seems like i might have left things too late. Been informed no vacancy by tutors and worse still that most kids started prep in yr 3. Really disheartening but willing to give DS a deserved chance because his a gr8t child. Opting to teach DS at home and need help/advise/information on what's needed to succeed as a home tutor.(pls make it simple and precise enough for a novice mum) :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
ews147

Re: 11+ prep for completely novice mum. Pls help!!!!!!

Post by ews147 »

Hi there,

Rest assured, you have not left it too late, and September/October is actually the optimum time for preparation for the 11+ to be taken the following year. I tutored my own son and it really is quite straight forward, though the relationship thing can sometimes make it hard going!! Get yourself off to Waterstone and check out the 11 plus section there. You could start with the Alpha series as these are not too difficult and can help to build some confidence. Make sure you you practise verbal reasoning, english and maths to start with then move onto the non verbal reasoning a bit later.then you might want to try some of the Bonds series for maths and english plus there 10 minute tests for verbal reasoning.

The important thing is to get a variety of practise materials as no one on their own quite 'does the job'. Later, say May/June, you could move onto the Bright Sparks series for all the relevant areas. Don't panic if your child can't do something/ or is weak in area, just see this as a positive identification for improvment areas and work on them with him.

FM is the real expert here and I'm sure she will be along with some very useful tips.Good luck, and I'm sure you will be as good as any tutor, just be prepared for the moans and groans he wouldn't display in front of a teacher/tutor...but it really is worth the effort/trial and tribulations in the end! :D
fun1405

Post by fun1405 »

@ ews147
10qs a lot. This msg means a lot to my DS and I. Will get to WS asap. Started out on some bond books as well. Guess i just need to believe in both of us. My DS says he wants to give this his best :) :) :) and so do i.
um

Post by um »

[most kids started prep in yr 3.

I honestly don't think most kids start 11 plus prep in Yr 3 - nor would I recommend it to be honest!

Due to horrible morning sickness (mine, not his), my ds started the April before the test - in Yr 5, and even then it was Summer hols before I really got the ball rolling. He starts CH next week.
If you cannot find a place with a good tutor, don't settle for a rubbish tutor (they are out there) as they are unlikely to be of much use. I would try and get an assessment from a good tutor at least, in order to help highlight any weak areas and offer suggestions on a scheme of work. Also look on this site and see what sort of things are actually in the exam to avoid doing what I did initially and make your child do loads of irrelevant work!
ews147

Post by ews147 »

Hi fun mum,

Just to add,I did spend money on having my son assessed by a 11 plus tutor but found him very expensive(he charged me 50 pounds for his 'expert' assessment) with little valuable feedback on what to focus on. However, it did help to confirm my belief that my son was a good candidate for the exam and gave us the confidence to go on,so to that end, it wasn't a waste of money.
Another thing, with maths as a starting point , I would strongly suggest you concentrate on developing your ds's skills in decimals, fractions and percentages, as these are the core foundation areas of assessment in the exam. Start off with simple 'sum' type problems , say spend a week on adding decimals/fractions or finding a percentage of a sum of money, then try the 'application' type questions such as if ' J has x amount of money and buys a watch worth £15, what percentage will he have spent' - these types are a little more difficult for early yr 5 kids as they wont have much experience at them in school just yet, but you will be amazed how much your ds improves with practise. Obviously, if he is good at these already, just continue with the general practise papers.
fun1405

Post by fun1405 »

10qs ews147