Is Bond books good to practise for 11+ in birmingham???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

busybees

Is Bond books good to practise for 11+ in birmingham???

Post by busybees »

Hi

I read on one of the forum that Bond books are not relevant to the 11+ exams in birmingham. Can somone advice me on this lease and which books would be the best to use if i am going to try for Camp Hill.

Many Thanks
ews147

Re: Is Bond books good to practise for 11+ in birmingham???

Post by ews147 »

I think the verbal reasoninG books are the least relevant as there appears to be little/no traditional vr in the ke exam these days. However, the bond books can generally be used and are useful in helping to build skills and identify weak areas etc, but only as part of a variety of other resources as well.After maths and English skills have been developed to a relatively high standard, hopefully a few months before the exam, it would be better to use / create resources that can help develop speed . Lots of questions for the child to answer in 6, 7 or 8 minutes. (With their 30min/60min test, Bond resources are not usually the best for this)
Also,around this time create some cloze tests (filling in the gap worksheets) as this appears to be a firm favourite with CEM. There is some advise aboout how to go about it on this part of the forum.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

The bond papers especially level 5 and more 5th are very relevant when coupled with reducing the time allowed by half. This is only after weak areas are addressed and the student is comfortable with most topics. Hope this helps. My DS can now do bond maths in 20mins. Speed coupled with accuracy is key.
busybees

Post by busybees »

I just started to do all the assessment papers with 6-7, 7-8, 8-9 etc. He has not started the 10-11 or 9-10 yet. he has got 100% in maths and the others about 90 -95% but as we not started the actual his age papers will have to see how he does in those ones.

So can someone confirm this that all the assessment and practise papers are just to give the child the ideas of paper layout is that correct????

if somone is going to try for camp hill if they wish they can PM me and i would love to find out what you doing to prepare for the exam. My son will sit in the exam next yeat he is in year 5 at the moment.

Many Thanks.
um

Post by um »

If he is getting 100% on papers, don't waste his time doing more of them! Move to the next level!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now