Tutor has gone on holiday!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fm

Re: Tutor has gone on holiday!

Post by fm »

But grammar school candidates do have the equivalent information. They, too, can work out their chances of gaining entry into a particular comprehensive and their chances of it are on equal footing to any child living the same distance as they do.

They are just lucky enough (if they are reasonably bright) to have extra chances/choices as well. I personally don't see why they can't wait with everyone else to find out their allocation rather than receive special treatment... And I say this as someone who has had children in both camps.
Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

[quote="brummum"]Actually she's done this quite a few times - "can't see him next week, going to the dentist" - that kind of thing. She's visiting family up North apparently.

I don't think she really 'teaching' him anything now, just timing papers - nothing I can't do at home - if I can get the toddlers out of the way :)
quote]

Its so close to the exams now , she probably couldnt teach your little one any more than he already knows. Its more important to focus on exam techniques in my opinion.
We had a tutor, who we realised after a while was really a rip off. She charged £17 for an hour, but spent most of it just setting them tests from the Bond books we bought. She would go over a few points, but nothing much according to my little one. the main plus was she was a focus point at the start - just a target to get 11+ work done at home befor enext weeks lesson etc So she did serve a purpose.
Somebody asked me off here to recommend our tutor , which I couldnt to be honest. The final straw was when we told her we wouldnt be using her again, and it was only becuase I asked did she pay back the week in hand we had paid. No wonder they lived in a big massive house ! I think her manner was also quite rude - she had no time to chat with us .
um

Post by um »

fm wrote:But grammar school candidates do have the equivalent information. They, too, can work out their chances of gaining entry into a particular comprehensive and their chances of it are on equal footing to any child living the same distance as they do.

They are just lucky enough (if they are reasonably bright) to have extra chances/choices as well. I personally don't see why they can't wait with everyone else to find out their allocation rather than receive special treatment... And I say this as someone who has had children in both camps.
I agree with this sentiment - but why on earth does everybody have to wait so long? Do the LA really need 4 months to allocate the places? I think it would be better all round if it could be done quicker, so that everyone knew where they were at.
Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

We dream of just waiting 4 months in Worcestershire ! Alcester Grammar School exam was early October, and we wont know results until March ... 6 months later :evil:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

It's obviously "Leave Your Maths Brain At Home" Day on the forum today...

Put it in terms we may all recognise: if Jack takes an 11+ exam on 6th November and has to wait four months for his result on 1st March, how many months will Araminta have to wait if she gets her result at the same time as Jack but takes her test on 3rd October? :lol:

Mike
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

Ah yes Mike1880, but it FEELS like 6 months!! :lol:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Been there and got the T-shirt. IMHO, February feels like 6 months. The rest feels like about 8 or 9.

Mike
brummum

Post by brummum »

I'm wondering which is the most nerve-racking - exam day, or the waiting afterwards :)

Mike, I would say my husband and son definate monomaniacs :lol:

Both fully occupied by forthcoming Jersey Football Festival. My son now appears totally oblivious to the fact that exam day is looming, which I suppose is preferable to him being a nervous wreck :!:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

That's probably a good position to be in. With our son I tried as far as possible not to mention it in the hope he'd forget it was imminent - fat chance with his big-mouth sister around! :roll:

Mike
um

Post by um »

I was particularly cruel - I put up a 'calendar' on his noticeboard with boxes for each day left, when there were about 40 days to go.
He would colour a square when the day had passed and the looming deadline was more and more apparent. About a week before the exam, I found the 'calendar' in the bin ripped into little pieces. I didn't say anything, although on the day he seemed pretty chilled and confident - I was desperately trying to conceal a breakdown over breakfast...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now