Tutor has gone on holiday!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BB248

Re: Tutor has gone on holiday!

Post by BB248 »

Mike

Can you explain a little bit more about the admissions consultation? When does it happen and who's involved? Would it only be parents of children who were due to apply in the future who are consulted?

It just sounds great to have an idea of scores, as it could save such a lot of second-guessing and unnecessary additional exam sitting. Also would give us all more time to talk up the local comp if that looked as if it would be what was offered in March. We'd be just like all those other areas in the country!

Even the possibility of this has brightened up my evening - thank you!

BB
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

BB248 wrote:Can you explain a little bit more about the admissions consultation? When does it happen and who's involved? Would it only be parents of children who were due to apply in the future who are consulted?
Admission authorities now have to publish their proposed admissions arrangements for consultation each year, any member of the public can respond to the proposals. I think there are some rules about how long consultation has to go on and when it has to finish but I'm not familiar with them. I chanced across the proposed arrangements for this year in about January. Keep an eye on this page and look out for "2012 Coordinated Admissions" or similar to appear in the menu on the left:

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Satelli ... rmode=live.

If (as I would expect) they ignore suggestions to change the arrangements, then once the arrangements become "determined" (I have an idea that's 1st March but I'm working from memory) you can object to the Schools Adjudicator:

http://www.schoolsadjudicator.gov.uk/index.cfm

Although the web site only provides a form for parents to object, it's open to anyone to do so:
OSA last Feb in email: wrote:The Schools adjudicators now have the power to look at an objection raised by anyone regarding a schools admission arrangements under 'Any other Means'. So when the school in question publishes their arrangements for September 2011 if you consider them unlawful then you can submit your objection to us.
A non-parent would presumably have to object via letter or contact them to sort out the details. I suspect any complaint to the OSA would stand more chance if supported by evidence that it was actually feasible to provide results before Oct 31st (e.g. by contacting CEM for advice on whether they could mark the papers in time).

I'm contemplating doing this myself, but I'll have more immediate admissions matters to think about next Jan/Feb/Mar and I might not feel up to taking this on as well!

Mike
BB248

Post by BB248 »

Thanks Mike. Very interesting! Yes, I can well imagine that you might have other more pressing concerns during the early months of 2011.

Do you know why B'ham have insisted on doing it the way they do? Is it part of an anti-grammar school stance or do they want to keep things as fair & even as poss so all children learn at the same time where they are likely to be heading? I could see that it might seem to be unfair that those passing the grammar schools exam very, very well would have a good idea in say, October or November, of their likely secondary school, whereas children not taking the test would have no such head start.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

There may well be practical reasons why they'd rather not deal with it earlier - but it may just be because "that's the way we've always done it". Without challenging it I think it's unlikely that we'll ever be sure of the reasons.

I have to say, although most people would probably like to know their results before filling in the CAF I don't think it would actually make life any easier for most people - it would just change the nature of the uncertainty. A lucky few (very few, overall) would have a good idea about where they would be likely to go, a large majority would know where they certainly wouldn't be going :( and a substantial chunk in the middle (most of those who would ultimately qualify, in fact) would be left wondering whether their score was going to be good enough.

That's why I've never bothered to do anything about it before :wink: .

Mike
um

Post by um »

I also cannot see any reason why scores, at least, should not be made available earlier.

I remember well this time last year - my son sat exams for Bishop Vesey, (it was then separate), King Edward's Grammars, Handsworth Grammar, Queen Mary's, Solihull School and King Edward's School. (The last two at cost :( ). Some of his friends also took the Stratford/Alcester exams in addition to these.
After all of that, we found out a few days before 1st March (computer error meant they were published early on the web!) that he had a place at his first choice, Camp Hill.
I would have loved to have known that earlier - and I have a feeling that my son would have, too!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Well it certainly wouldn't leave anyone worse off (although most would definitely be unhappy at the news) to know what they'd scored - and that, together with an indication of previous qualifying numbers for each school, is all anyone would need to know. It might make for some tense conversations in the school playground though :( .

It would certainly be an enormous help to those applying from Worcestershire where they only get three choices - it's probably worth fighting on that basis alone.

Mike
fm

Post by fm »

I remember the old system when the grammar school children discovered their results in December. Lovely for the successful ones but then they swanned around showing off about their new schools in the playground when the others who either weren't successful or hadn't done the grammar school (my son included) had another couple of months to learn their less than enviable fate.
I didn't think this was particularly fair at all.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I agree it would lead to some unpleasantness, but it's how most areas run things and it's how the Admissions Code recommends they should be run.

At the moment someone applying for a comprehensive can form a view of whether they will be successful based on where they live and what distance the school has made offers to in past years. Anyone applying to grammar school has no such indication at the moment, if they had their score and indication of past qualifying scores they would only be getting the equivalent level of information.

Mike
brummum

Post by brummum »

BB248, I really do wonder sometimes if there may be some anti-grammar school agenda in Birmingham.

My son plays football to a high standard and was invited to trials for our District. Then the Birmingham primary schools district arranged the trials on every King Edwards open morning in September/October.

Surely the schools take note of the open days :!:

I attended the open days with my husband while son was at trials, then I took my son round on the extra open afternoons - apart from KE Aston.

At least they have cancelled the match which was planned for 6 November - apparently too many boys will be unavailable due to the exam :)

Then again, maybe its all just coincidence :wink:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

In my experience, people heavily involved in sport are largely oblivious to everything else. It's not a conspiracy, it's just monomania.

Mike
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now