Interviews at EHS and KEHS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mike1880

Interviews at EHS and KEHS

Post by mike1880 »

Hi, has anyone had any experience of interviews at Edgbaston High or King Edwards High? Does anyone know what the format is and what type of things might be asked?

Mike
BB248

Re: Interviews at EHS and KEHS

Post by BB248 »

Mike

My experience is limited but as no-one else has come along with chapter & verse, I'll tell you what I know. EHS interviews everybody (including the parents!), or at least they used to. A few years ago they used to ask the candidates to prepare a topic to speak about (daunting, I'd have thought, for many). More recently, they asked the girls to take in an object that showed something about themselves. My DD, arts & crafts mad, took in a picture she'd painted that week (nothing special, and revealing more enthusiasm than talent). Saw others with medals, photos of their pets, ballet shoes etc. From what I can gather, the object was only used as an ice breaker to get the girls talking about something, so really quite a good idea. The interview was far more of a chat than an academic interview; took place in head's lovely study, sitting on sofas and squashy armchairs. No searching Qs at all, just the wahts-your-fav-subject, what-hobbies, do-you-have-siblings type Qs. Think it is worth thinking about anybody you know who's gone there as that was asked of my DD, too.

Girl's interviews were followed by the parent interview. Again more of a chat. We were asked if we had any Qs fairly early on in the process, so I'd counsel to have something prepared for that one! I guess you would probably have at least half a dozen questions anyway so wouldn't be casting around for something pertinent to ask, but I was grateful that there really was something I wanted to know! BTW, as all girls get interviewed there are no scholarship interiews as such. The chat is it. There are some fairly generous academic scholarships available (50%) BUT, in our case, all the monies wld have had to be repaid if she hadn't completed 7 yrs there - and as we weren't offered anyway near 50% it seemed like we were tying our DD's hand re sixth form in return for modest savings. I think the fact that she didn't know she was in line for a scholarship made the interview very low key and relaxed.

KEHS I don't think interview as many girls, maybe only scholarship, bursary and borderline cases. As my DD didn't get a scholarship (nor even a sniff of one!), I don't know what's involved, I'm afraid. Chris Tovey, the head's sec, is v approachable and I'm sure you could ask her about the format if your DD got called in. My impression is that selection is solely on the basis of the exams ie academic performance (unlike the boys school where they openly say that it's only one component), so I would imagine the interview might be more searching than EHS's cosy chat.

Good luck
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Thanks for that, it's very helpful - yes, the EHS head said at open evening that they interview parents as well as all the girls :shock: . I'm not very good at interviews, I might have to "phone a friend" - I'm sure they won't notice if someone else turns up pretending to be me! :lol:

Mike
BB248

Post by BB248 »

A friend of mine refused to take her husband as she was sure it would undermine her DD's chance of an offer!!!
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Hello,

from my past experience with these two schools, the interview is there to find out
what your child is like. They ask questions like, what do your parents do for a living etc
They do not want one sentence answers such as 'he works in an office' or ' I dunno.'
They are looking for bright, interested, enthusiastic children.

With King Edwards, I know that they do not interview everyone. If they have a child who is borderline, they will get an interview. I had a child a couple of years ago who didn't get a place. Her uncle rang the school and pleaded with them for an interview, and eventually they gave in and gave her one and she got a place based on that.

One of my other children had an interview at EHS and she had to prepare a piece of writing. She spoke about how her hobby, 'trampolining.' As long as your child prepares a piece on something they do actually know about, they shouldn't have a problem answering the questions. They will also feel much happier and confident talking about something they enjoy.
"A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops."
Henry B. Adams
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Thank you!

I'm trying to get motivated to start preparing for EHS and KEHS now. It seems quite distant somehow - but it's really only 9 weeks (including Christmas, when I'm sure we'll get a lot done! :lol: ) and will be upon us before we know it :shock: !

Mike
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Now is your time to really kick in with the essay practice. They will be starting to do a lot of exam practice at school for their KS2 exams, but sadly I don't that this alone will be enough.
Henry B. Adams
brummum

Post by brummum »

My DS is due to take the KES exam - do you think we should continue tutoring in all subjects, or concentrate on comprehension/essay writing, as I know that plays a big part in the exam :?:
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I am assuming you have spent the last months, if not years, concentrating on everything needed for the KE exams. Now I think it is very important that you really kick in with the essay writing.
Concentrate on the different types essay your child may have to write. It could be a debate, a story or a letter.
Make sure they appreciate what is needed in each case.
Two years ago at KES, the boys were given a film to watch during their lunch break (I take it you know the exams usually last a day) and afterwards during their exam, they were asked to write a poem about it!! I personally think that is incredibly unfair.
I still think you need to keep the work flowing when it comes to the other subjects, but would definitely recommend your child does a lot more work on essay writing and of course, comprehension. Don't forget to practice interviews too!
Good Luck!
Henry B. Adams
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

Elizabeth wrote: Two years ago at KES, the boys were given a film to watch during their lunch break (I take it you know the exams usually last a day) and afterwards during their exam, they were asked to write a poem about it!! I personally think that is incredibly unfair.
It might seem unfair to anyone who has relied on intensive tutoring to get their DCs through all the entrance tests, which I know a lot of parents do, but it sounds to me like an inspired and creative way of finding raw natural ability amongst their candidates. As far as I know nothing like that was on the agenda when my DCs did the test, but if it had been I would have thoroughly approved. Since rumour has it that KES places the most emphasis on maths when awarding scholarships etc, it seems entirely fair that boys who have been at ordinary state primary schools and had no extra coaching should be given different opportunities to display any gifts they may have, and very good for the school to have pupils with genuine artistic and literary ability.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now