Primary Schools in that has good entry levels to KES...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

HopefulFather

Primary Schools in that has good entry levels to KES...

Post by HopefulFather »

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone can help.

I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to find information of the number of pupils of the different Sutton Coldfield primary schools that entered any of the KES? Does anybody know of any sites that may have this info?

Many Thanx
mike1880

Re: Primary Schools in that has good entry levels to KES...

Post by mike1880 »

I think you'll need to write to Birmingham Admissions for that kind of information. You may need to use Freedom of Information.

Mike
um

Post by um »

Sounds fascinating. I would be interested in that info!
However the numbers can vary per year in primary schools and often are based more on the tuition that the pupils receive, and the desperation to get in, than the quality of the Primary school.
To explain, if I lived in the catchment area of a good secondary, I probably would not have tried so hard to ensure my children have a good chance at Grammar school - knowing I had a good fallback. I don't, and my son didn't like the local comp, so he worked very hard. I notice that in areas such as Harborne and Kings Heath, quite a high percentage of boys get into Grammar compared to, say, Solihull. I don't think that is because Primaries in Kings Heath and Harborne are better than those in Solihull, but because children are more likely to be tutored and have more at stake if they do not gain a place. State primaries will rarely offer any tuition based on 11 plus - in fact many refuse to even acknowledge it! The KS2 syllabus also progresses too slowly in state primaries - so unless your child does extra work at home, they will not have all the knowledge they need by the November exam.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

KECH say, and it certainly looked that way from from the map we saw at induction, that there is a very hefty skew towards Solihull.

Mike
um

Post by um »

You are right, because with very few exceptions, money/social class buys education, and Solihull tends to mean money...but given that there are about 60 Primary/Junior schools in Solihull, many of them very good, they do not send large amounts of children each - you are talking about 1 or 2, maybe 4 at the most, from each school, mostly.
Then there are a few Solihull Independents there who will send quite a lot of children to CH, such as Ruckleigh and Eversfield - I heard that quite a few got in from Ruckleigh to CHB this year.
But I also heard that schools such as Colmore, Moseley CE and Harborne, send about 12 or more each year to Ch or FW - I am saying that although clearly these are good schools, that doesn't mean they are better than the Primary in Solihull who sends only 2 - because parents there may not push the tuition quite so much, having access to a good Secondary anyway...
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I take your point. I agree with you that any such statistics are probably likely to have more to do with the school's intake than with the school itself.

Mike