Nov 2011 exam date on Eid?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hermanmunster

Re: Nov 2011 exam date on Eid?

Post by hermanmunster »

Um, I appreciate your concerns and efforts to do something about this but just feel I have make a couple of points,

one is understanding the difficulty of determining when Eid actually is - Christians appreciate having a moveable feast eg Easter but at least we can work out when it is going to be for the next few centuries. (oh the glorious "tables of moveable feasts" in the book of common prayer, fascinating as a child during a dire sermon :roll: )
It is the complete uncertainty until the last minute that makes it difficult for people planning these things
Secondly I suspect that if the 11plus exam was on Christmas Day (unlikely as it is secular bank holiday and therefore attracts higher pay rates) a great many people would be there regardless - it is only one occasion, and for many one of the most important educational events. For those of who are at work sometime on Christmas Day every year, going out and doing something else is no big deal really - much the same as any other day - perfectly possible to fit in the pressy opening, the large meal and the trip to church alongside other events.
um

Post by um »

Fair comments - although we know as an absolute certainty that Eid will be either 5,6 or 7 November, we don't know the exact date.
I am not sure how many people would really relish an exam on Christmas morning - and there is the issue that Eid prayer is not held throughout the day, but only in the morning.
But mainly, I am concerned at the logistical problems of large numbers taking a 'late' exam -and , lets be honest, the potential for cheating to occur, given that it is the same exam.
There will always be a small minority of ill children, but no-one wants a large tranche of children taking the exam late.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

agreed - large number taking it on alternate day would be very tricky logistically and also security of the papers etc...

Obviously if the date is one of those 3 (and avoiding those 3 days is not too many days I think) , then it is definitely worth highlighting this to the organisers.. Good Luck!
um

Post by um »

Time to put this forum to bed, I think :D as the LA have changed the date of the exam to 12 November.
:D :D :D
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

That's a good result :)

Well done, Um!
poppit

Post by poppit »

Good news um :)

The change of date has another advantage for everyone, as it avoids Bonfire Night, so a better chance of a good nights sleep before the exam (I can always hope :lol: )

poppit
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

um wrote:Time to put this forum to bed, I think :D as the LA have changed the date of the exam to 12 November.
Bravissimo, Um! :D :D

poppit wrote:Good news um :)
The change of date has another advantage for everyone, as it avoids Bonfire Night, so a better chance of a good nights sleep before the exam (I can always hope :lol: )
poppit
Oh yes, I had forgotten about this bonefire night! Hope not too many people will go on with their festivities for many more days! The problem is that some people tend to buy too many fireworks and bother their neighbours more than necessary :roll:
But this change of date is excellent news :D
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

um wrote:Time to put this forum to bed, I think :D as the LA have changed the date of the exam to 12 November.
:D :D :D
Well done to you, um. You have prevented a lot of worry for a fairly large number of parents and children this year.

Well done to Birmingham Admissions also for understanding the issue and for being willing to take a hard decision.
firebrand1

Post by firebrand1 »

Hi - is the 12 November date a definite, stick in your diary date. Is the time known? :?:
um

Post by um »

Yes, it is. The time is always 9am but obviously you need to arrive in advance of that.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now