Kes Birmingham/solihull

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
thelight

Kes Birmingham/solihull

Post by thelight »

hi has anyone heard from KES yet? i have heard from solihull our DS got in with a fee paying place we are happy he got in however we cannot afford it solihull said they might be able to offer assissted place.

does this mean that he might not get into KES? he has his heart set on KES but worried that he wont get in due to him not getting offered a scholarship in solihull.

he found KES harder as well......can anyone help?
DadTutor

Re: Kes Birmingham/solihull

Post by DadTutor »

My DS got offered place at Solihull too.

Unfortunately I dont have £10,000 p.a so more than likely will be turning it down. Was hoping he would get higher enough score for a Scholarship, but alas, he didnt. I am very proud of his achievement and told him so...and with two more children to educate, I can not offer an exceptional opportunity to one child without my other two also having the same.

What does tick me off, is that I know there will be many more financially able parents who could send their children to Solihull and KES, but will still take a Grammar School place if offered. To me, that denies much sought after places to others. With record numbers sitting the exams it seems to me that many will be denied a Grammar school place not only by a single mark or two, but by wealthy parents who even though could afford to send their children to KES or Solihull, will take a Grammar place offered.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

dadtutor welcome and congratulations on the Solihull exam success!

- I appreciate how you feel but actually "well off" people are paying mega tax and may feel that they would like to make use of the GS places that they are contributing towards - after all that was idea of a "free at the point of delivery" NHS and educations system - that all who contribute can use it - not just those who can't afford anything else..

I have no doubt you would think I could pay for Indie places and yes I could but actually I prefer my kids to go to a state GS, the education is good, the parents are less frazzled working all hours to pay fees and not worrying about pay cuts & redundancies, and I have managed to save for them to have some dosh at University.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

I agree, it ticks me off too to contribute toasted the upkeep of hospitals when I don't use them. Angers me that I dont get money back because we are not in state school system...and so the debate can continue. Grammar is a right for all regardless of income background.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

the hospital bit is an insurance policy - you might need them one, in fact almost certainly will! Whereas schools are for a defined period - you either use them or you don't..
thelight

Post by thelight »

i can see both sides of the argument as i cannot afford the fees my DS has worked so hard and really wants KES and i know he will be heart broken if he doesnt get in. i would feel even worse if they offer a fee paying place as i wont be able to afford it so would be letting him down.

i know all children work hard and everyone wants their child to get in. however if i could afford it i would pay.

grammar school doesnt guarantee a great job as i know many people who went and didnt achieve well..it is down to the individual child
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

Congratulations to all who have won a place regardless of it being a fee paying or ap !! Solihull considers the assisted places after the results have gone out, so you might still have a good chance. Although only the top candidates will get them...many will turn down these offers come 1st March, as they only use this as a back up.

Its the first step of success for your children, so enjoy it and celebrate rather than worry about the outcome... :D
My nephew sat this test and has passed, he also found it hard, aswell as the KES which he found harder.

My DS is currently at KES on a full bursary, and this morning was telling me that he too found the English sections hard...ofcourse not due to the fact he had packed away his will to revise after the November KE exams!!! What i'm trying to say is don't worry just because your child is saying they found it hard, doesn't mean they won't have a chance of passing. I would rather they said it was hard than easy!!

Also having just read the latest newsletter from KES, they have managed to raise funds to offer 30 boys an assisted place !!!! Which is an amazing opportunity for families who cannot afford the fees, compared to the girls who only have 10 and only 80 places altogether :roll: So not keeping my hopes up for DD !!!!

Good luck hope that makes you feel better :)

FTM
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Interesting how the boys have so many more assisted places...... :wink:

I was at an "old gels" do at KEHS and they were talking about this very point:.

Trouble is that the girls school, good though it is, has had an ethos of producing excellent "solid citizens" - achieve academically, work hard, many in public sector, bring up their kids etc etc , but they rarely make a vast amount of money - I mean a really vast amount of money. Whereas the boys school have some who have done extremely well (Ok we won't count two brains willetts :lol: ) and now are able to support others.

remember the motto of the KEHS Creak Memorial Prize: As is the woman, so is the home. As is the home, so is the nation
DadTutor

Post by DadTutor »

hermanmunster wrote:dadtutor welcome and congratulations on the Solihull exam success!

- I appreciate how you feel but actually "well off" people are paying mega tax and may feel that they would like to make use of the GS places that they are contributing towards - after all that was idea of a "free at the point of delivery" NHS and educations system - that all who contribute can use it - not just those who can't afford anything else..

I have no doubt you would think I could pay for Indie places and yes I could but actually I prefer my kids to go to a state GS, the education is good, the parents are less frazzled working all hours to pay fees and not worrying about pay cuts & redundancies, and I have managed to save for them to have some dosh at University.
The Grammar School system is the only route for many whose parents do not earn enough to afford the likes of Solihull and KES. Many ex-Grammar school kids have done well in life and came from working class backgrounds, it really is the only route for many who don't live in decent catchment areas, and I dont think its "fair" that those who can afford to, decide to take the free place and deny those who lose out through no fault of there own but due to the circumstances of their finances. The example I draw upon was the televised programme last year where the parents of a child were thrilled their DS got a Grammar place, even though he had been offered KES place too, and they didnt have to continue paying fees for his education, even though they obviously had been paying them and could continue to do so. The argument of "they pay their taxes" doesn't really wash with me I'm afraid, tax efficency means many avoid paying the true amount they should pay. Social mobility for many doesnt exist, the "system" has always favoured the wealthy, and I accept that, but I wish those that could afford to send their children to Solihull or KES, spare a thought for a child who lost out not because they failed the entrance exams, but because the opportunity was taken by their actions.
DadTutor

Post by DadTutor »

Does anyone know the ratios of how many places are offered for Solihull and KES, to actual entrance exams taken?

TIA.