KES appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
thelight

KES appeal

Post by thelight »

Hi

my DS was on of the many that did not get into KES. he has been crying all morning insisting that was the school of his dreams and its all over now....

we are upset about it as DS is at level 5 in all subjects at his present school. he does attend a state school as we are not in a position to be able to afford private.

we were wondering if any one has appealed a place for KES at all i have tried searching the forum however could not find anything. also is it worth appealing? feel so helpless as DS is so upset dont know how to make it better.

thanks
hermanmunster

Re: KES appeal

Post by hermanmunster »

It is really difficult when children do not get a much wanted place at a school, I am so sorry to hear that you have had this news today. Have you got some other options?

I think that someone did enquire a while ago about appealing and the result was that being an independent school there was no process in place. It was also apparent that there was a waiting list of children who had nearly passed and hence would be first to be offered any spare places. I'll try and find the link.

It might be worth ringing the foundation office next week to see if they can give you some info on how well your DS did, at least then you can encourage him if he got a good score.
rachag

Post by rachag »

Sorry. Esp as seems to have set his heart on it. Just to say that although we don't know how well he actually did and not wanting to give any false hope but a friends son was rejected last year - no borderline interview - she rang up to see how he had done, told not strong enough in the maths and no offer made then but she told them that son really wanted that school, asked about a waiting list place - told no at that point. He was offered a place however in the end - I am pretty sure it was in easter hols.
Obviously, if you are still hoping, working towards acceptance of another path is more difficult.
Good luck.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

When the KE grammar results are announced in a few days time, places will become available I am convinced
firsttimermum

Post by firsttimermum »

Its really difficult esp for parents to see their child in that state. I dont think there is an appeal system in place. However it is well worth phoning on monday and asking how far off he was. If you keep ringing, after decision deadline you know where you stand realistically. Also make a point of saying you are keen, so if anything comes up to keep you posted. It is such an amazing school, most boys fall in love with it. Unfortunately a lot of them are dissappointed :( My nephew is also fe :( ling ver sad, despite having won a place didnt get the AP he was after! So I know they will be declining it, therefore although they over offer there may be more places available after 1st March and deadline for decision is over...about 20th March last year I think.

Do you have a second choice ....what about the other KEs ?

FTM
thelight

Post by thelight »

Hi

thank you to everyone who replied really appreciate your kind words

we tried for bishop vesey and queen marys but DS had heart set on KES
we are hoping that he will get a place at the above schools however am feeling bit uneasy as a lot more boys apply for them schools.

if anyone can please let me know of any appeal system i might give it ago. i will call the school and see what they say.

its a difficult time for all boys who never got in.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

Ring Nicola Philipps first thing Mon morning, on all the open days we went to at KES, there was a very supportive message.
poppit

Post by poppit »

Sorry to hear you and your son have not got the result you most wanted. The others have made some great suggestions as to what to do next.

Your son will have learnt so much over the last year as he prepared for the exam, and the knowledge and skills he has gained will always serve him well.

Warm wishes.
um

Post by um »

I do feel for you and your son. That's really tough at the age of 10/11 to feel you 'failed' when your hopes were up. Kind of not fair on a child really. I hope he knows that he has the rest of his life ahead of him...Isaac Newton apparently totally bombed school for example but made up for it later!
Your son is only in Year 6, with the parental support and his obvious ability (being level 5s already) I am sure he will do very well.

My own personality is one of boundless pessimism. I didn't really expect ds1 to get in anywhere (he's at KECH now, to our surprise - I almost didn't put it on the form!). As for ds2 in Year 5, he scored 5/35 this week in a THIRD papers comprehension so right now I'll be planning a party if he gets into Handsworth Grammar :?
Dibble

Post by Dibble »

thelight wrote:Hi
my DS was on of the many that did not get into KES. he has been crying all morning insisting that was the school of his dreams and its all over now....

we are upset about it as DS is at level 5 in all subjects at his present school. he does attend a state school as we are not in a position to be able to afford private.

we were wondering if any one has appealed a place for KES at all i have tried searching the forum however could not find anything. also is it worth appealing? feel so helpless as DS is so upset dont know how to make it better.

thanks
Reading your post leaves me ashamed to the bone that I take part in a process that can do that to a child.

But, my emoting isn’t really going to help...

I think you require, and applied to KES for, an assisted place but received no interview/offer?

They would have offered a standard place if they felt your son’s performance in their particular test justified it. There will be a number of boys in just that position – wanting an AP but offered a standard place.

It would be a large leap to go from where you are, to gaining an assisted place. No one could say it’s impossible, no one could expect you to just give up, and of course you’ll fight for your son – but I think it may be as well to also (perhaps even ‘mainly’) help your son understand what wonderful opportunities are still open to him elsewhere. I couldn’t possibly advise you how to do that with your own son, but I can tell you that it’s true.

The KES and KEGS tests are very, very different. He may easily have been better favoured by one rather than the other. Who can say on which day he just happened to perform his best? He should never feel that his new school is simply ‘Not KES’. All of the other schools you mention would be a fantastic opportunity for him. Though I have my personal favourite schools and you might see, in this forum, ideas about which school is harder/easier to get in to, I’d never dare rank schools except in the order which I think they’d best suit a particular child.

It is so sad that your son has felt his first taste of defeat at such a time and in such a way.

Children can be wonderfully, almost shockingly resilient – simply... moving on. I hope and trust that becomes true for your son – soon enough.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now