Require information about Hall Green

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

avdilemma2011

Require information about Hall Green

Post by avdilemma2011 »

Hi Everyone,

This site is a wealth of information under one hood. I feel lucky to have found it.

We are moving to Hall Green, Birmingham (closer to Robin Hood Island) from London due to work assignment. I've gone through posts on Birmingham schools but would love if you can guide me about comprehensive secondary school in this area. My DD will be applying in Nov 2011 exam and a first hand information about area will be very helpful. I would also like to know how the area is in terms of commute as my DD will be using local transport. If any other area is worth considering, please advice. My other DD is in Year 3 and would require a good primary catchment.

Please help
um

Re: Require information about Hall Green

Post by um »

It really depends where in Hall Green you are moving - it is quite a large area.
Hall Green Infant and Junior, and Chilcote Primary, are excellent schools. They operate catchment areas based on street name. On the South of Robin Hood, you may be in the Chilcote catchment. Not in the north of it though. Birmingham admissions can give you this info. It is extremely hard to get into either part way through. Some other Primary Hall Green schools are not that good and have lower than average results.

As for Hall Green Secondary, it is one of the top performing comps in Bitrmingham. It is also very small and you really need to live within 350m to get a place. Otherwise you can get into Ninestiles (1km cut off distance), or Yardleys. Neither are high performing.
Light Hall in Solihull is another comprehensive choice that you can get into from Hall Green and is a good school. You will also get into Alderbrook (even better) but may have to wait a month or so after offers, for their waiting list to move up, which it does.

The green bus website gives info about Grammar school buses. Buses 11 and 76 also go from Hall Green to KE Camp Hill. There is a train station, but you have to change in the city centre to get to the Sutton Coldfield Grammars or Walsall.
Last edited by um on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
um

Post by um »

PS If your dd can't get a good Hall Green primary place, you can still find a place for her relatively easily in good Solihull Primary schools, about 10 mins drive away
avdilemma2011

Post by avdilemma2011 »

Thanks um

It is very helpful to hear information about the area. It is quite a big move for us and with both of us working, I'm more concerned about how the area is. Any suggestions?

I've not heard good things about Birmingham as city and I'm being quite pedantic and nervous about this move. The only good thing I've heard so far is that there are some really good Grammar school in this area.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi ...... I was a resident of the patch a very, very long time ago... and sort of remember Hall Green, the library and chippy in black and white like this:

Anyway enough of reminiscing.... are you actually going to work in Hall Green or live there? If it is just to work there, then this is more a question of where should I live? I would reckon many people would prefer Solihull.. v good primaries and good comprehensives plus access to the grammars in Birmingham. Let us know what you are looking at.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

If your kids are musical, the B'ham schools music service really is stunningly good (I just hope it survives the cuts).

But taking the bigger picture, if you have the choice go for Solihull (I've been kicking myself for not buying there instead ever since the kids reached school age - but then I wasn't planning on marrying and having kids at the time!). You can reach the Stratford grammars from there as well as B'ham and you have a couple of the best comps in the country if you get your catchment right (you'd need to look at the catchment area maps).

Mike
fm

Post by fm »

Schools are one thing and living there, quite another. Solihull is not to everyone's taste.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

You won't get any disagreement from me there!
avdilemma2011

Post by avdilemma2011 »

My husbands work place is in Hall Green and as we don't know the city well it is a default choice to be picked up as place to abode. I would want good primaries and good secondary closer to where we live. Also the quality of life matters. London though very crowded, still has a vibrant lifestyle. Was looking for some area like that. Also I don't want my choice of living place to be the cause for losing options available for my kids.

Solihull seemed to be a bit pricey but if it is a nicer (secure / social) area than Hall Green, I would certainly consider that.

Thanks all for your views. It is certainly helpful that technology allows views to be shared, in such case where the distance is making it deterrent for us to drive past area at different times.
avdilemma2011

Post by avdilemma2011 »

mike1880 wrote:If your kids are musical, the B'ham schools music service really is stunningly good (I just hope it survives the cuts).

But taking the bigger picture, if you have the choice go for Solihull (I've been kicking myself for not buying there instead ever since the kids reached school age - but then I wasn't planning on marrying and having kids at the time!). You can reach the Stratford grammars from there as well as B'ham and you have a couple of the best comps in the country if you get your catchment right (you'd need to look at the catchment area maps).

Mike
Thanks Mike,

I'll try and locate catchment area maps. It is quite a stressful exercise to search for a house so far off. Hope to do some look outs this half term. So all your views and advice are very helpful to me.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now