Travel information

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

toots

Travel information

Post by toots »

Hi, please could anyone best direct me to where I'd get some information on how my child would get to the various grammer schools in Birmingham. We live in the Solihull area and I wanted to check out the routes, before making a decision as to which ones to apply for. :?
no_ball

Re: Travel information

Post by no_ball »

Look at the green bus website.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

I made myself a spreadsheet of the distances etc using the journey planner at http://www.travelinemidlands.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the AA's route planner to look at the option of the mum bus http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp?database=B" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just in case the Green bus looks too pricey or inconvenient. It's no good for us as the stops are too far from home.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

We will save 45 mins by getting oh to drive ds to one of the bus stops 1.5 miles ip the road,
toots

Post by toots »

Thank you, I will check both sites out.

Is the Green Bus only for school children? I am concerned about the safety aspect.
um

Post by um »

Yes, the green bus is only for school children.
But hundreds of pupils take local buses and trains every day to and from Birmingham Grammars, and they are pretty safe too :D .
I could not imagine, in Year 6, how my son would get a bus to school and do everything himself, but he has and although part of me worries all the time, I know I have to let go a little.
He has friends at school bought in via Mummy, who he feels miss out on a chance to stretch their wings.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

I have taken the DS's first year at school off and will follow green bus every day to make sure he is safe :shock:
um

Post by um »

On his first journey (which was in the summer holidays as there was a 1 week camp), dh followed the no.11 there in the car :lol: whilst I communicated constantly via text and phone to check where he was...
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

As Mulder would tell Scully, we are not alone....
I hope DS will see familiar faces on the green bus to KECH, that will help somewhat.
toots

Post by toots »

I'm sure there's a long procession of anxious parents following these buses! If all goes well, I will also be there!! :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now