Maths exercise book

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Re: Maths exercise book

Post by DIY Mum »

It can be done with less than three months to go as long as the parents / dc keep a perspective about it. On the plus side: you bond with your dc, skills taught will be utilized later despite the result and in the future, you won't kick yourself saying, 'what if?' :?

Downside of course, is disappointment, sense of failure or bitterness that may accrue in not winning a GS. :cry:

From personal experience with ds1 (he had three months prep), it was quite a commitment preparing him for Kegs as well as teaching him the NC (he was 2 years behind his peers as he attended a non-English medium school when abroad). But we felt, that he had nothing to lose and lots to gain! :D

Our situation however, was advantageous given that as soon as we returned to the UK in August, ds1, dc4 & dc5 were on waiting lists for schools: so he was home-schooled between Sep-December. Most kids won't have that option though. :!:

um

Post by um »

I am not sure I would wait for a child to announce they would like to take the exam, if I thought they would have a chance/suit a Grammar education.
It is a bit like waiting for a child to announce they'd like to go for a dental checkup - you just arrange it for them :lol:
But now that the child is ready and willing, and assuming they have no major weaknesses , then the time remaining seems adequate right now to have a very good shot.

After all, most of my ds1's friends at CH insist that they had no tuition, just did one practice paper on the back of an envelope, etc etc :roll: so legend has it, that it can indeed be done.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I'm not one for consultation or free and frank exchange of views either, not that it means it doesn't happen anyway (have had more than enough of other peoples' opinions about schools this year). In this case parents have a non-GS option that they prefer but the subject has come up for discussion nonetheless...
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I would say let him try, unless it is too late to apply?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now