Moving...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JASMINE

Moving...

Post by JASMINE »

Hi All,

We are thinking of moving to Solihull or surrounding areas and we are also considering Warwick and I need to consider secondary schools for for my
three children. My eldest will be going up to year 9 and twins will be starting at year 7.

Could any one recommend any good performing schools in those areas and perhaps suggest areas we could move to.

Many thanks
no_ball

Re: Moving...

Post by no_ball »

Private or state sector?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I just wonder if this would be better in the relevant section? Many more people would see it there, as not everyone reads these general posts.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Good point -will move it to brum
solimum

Post by solimum »

How soon are you planning on moving? This September's year 7 will be full at all the "best" schools in Solihull and there will already be a waiting list - spare places do crop up but you would need to contact the LEA/school to see what the chances were of finding three spaces in the right year groups. If you're looking ahead to Sep 2012 you should look carefully at the admissions criteria as some secondaries give priority even within catchment to applicants from linked primaries.

The generally most popular and high-achieving Solihull schools are Arden and Tudor Grange (both now Academies in "leafy" areas, although hopefully not yet escaping too far from joint admissions etc with the LEA) - Heart of England is also well regarded. Solihull School is the main private school - also many Solihull children commute to the Birmingham or Stratford grammars (or to a range of other private schools.) PM me if you want more "personal" and anecdotal opinions!

As to where to actually live - that of course depends on the catchment area factors as well as rural vs urban/suburban, local shops, transport links, house prices etc. The house next door to us has just gone on the market!
JASMINE

Post by JASMINE »

Hi,

Thanks for your replies, I know we're moving at a very bad time for the children but its seems we have to because of work, I realise all places will
be filled for year 7. Ideally we need to move somewhere my partner can travel from and to London as he will be still working in the city sometimes, so good train links and motorway. So Warwick, Sutton Coldfield and Solihull are the areas we are looking at. My biggest worry are the schools, sorry I should have mentioned earlier, secondary comprehensives schools for boys and girls. Mixed gender or single sex it doesn't matter. If anyone can recommend any other areas maybe we haven't considered would love to hear.

Thanks solimum will PM you, I appreciate your help.
JASMINE

Post by JASMINE »

Sorry I forgot to add in my earlier post, congratulations Snowdrops :D
um

Post by um »

Don't mean to be negative but I would just caution that good schools in all the areas you have mentioned, are full.
Getting a place at one is not easy at all. I know of one parent who moved into the Tudor Grange catchment a year ago. Her older child managed to get a place within a few months but the younger one did not and has been 1st on the waiting list for a year with no hope of a place; as her year is currently oversubscribed by 2 children, 3 children have to leave before an official 'place' becomes available.
The nearest school with places is about 9 miles away. Their appeal was not granted and she is now, after a year of no school, going to take up the place in the school many miles away.

I would suggest you talk to the relevant LA about where places are and your children's chances of getting a place.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now