Advice on realistic test papers for 11+ for preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ginobellavia

Advice on realistic test papers for 11+ for preparation

Post by ginobellavia »

First posting;
I have twin boys going for 11+ in November in Birmingham. Have been using bond booklets for past 2-3 yrs and also bofa online 11+ tests.

For the last few weeks before the real tests I would like to get them to try realistic mock papers that are not bond to expose them to different question types etc.

I have trawled the web but am still at a loss.

Can anyone suggest which test papers are available (preferably paper based that simulate the mixture of multiple choice and non-multiple choice that Birmingham grammar school tests operate)
ginobellavia

Re: Advice on realistic test papers for 11+ for preparation

Post by ginobellavia »

I guess I think I have the answer, ie the GL packs?

If I'm wrong let me know.
ginobellavia

Post by ginobellavia »

ginobellavia wrote:I guess I think I have the answer, ie the GL packs?

If I'm wrong let me know.
Sorry about this, but as there are so many GL papers I was wondering whether I should get the variety packs multiple choice, local area says tests have mostly/some multiple choice (birmingham).

Also are these harder than the bond series?
vasu

Post by vasu »

GL variety pack is definitely harder :shock:
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The test varies from region to region I will move this to the Birmingham section, you should get more answers there.
yoyo
um

Post by um »

There are no practice papers available commercially for the Birmingham tests

The tests are CEM, set by the University of Durham.

The idea is that they try to test innate ability/intelligence rather than how well tutored a child has been (this is open to debate, but that is the idea).

To get a better understanding of what is actually in the exam, please look at the sticky on exam content in this section.

It is best to use a variety of books and materials for preparation.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

One can assume no one passes KE exams without some sort of tutoring?
um

Post by um »

If the Year 8 boys at Camp Hill are to be believed, none had any tutoring at all, although a few will admit to having done one quick practice paper on the back of an envelope :lol:
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Same in Y9. I believe our son was the only one to be tutored... :wink:
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

My ds1 must be mingling with a different set of boys in Y9 then as they were heavily tutored for at least a year. Ds1 was also 'tutored'- albeit late and by his mum! :lol:

Similar feedback from Ds2' pals at Aston: intense tuition for a couple of years. Although it's a different story when you talk to the parents (no mention of separate tutor for ke exam, separate tutor for composition and a parent's 3hr solid diy input every Sunday). :roll:

To OP,

I'm afraid you won't find any commercial papers that reflect the format of the KE exam. But what you can do is use the KE feedback and tailor it to design your own mock exam using either 'bits n bobs' from various papers and create your own.

Cloze tests are fairly easy to do. Tricky ones are the NVR- how many papers do you find, are about 3d mental rotation? There's only a few e.g. alpha nvr series.

Maths (usually 2 sections- long data type and quick- algebra, conversions fdp type). Take questions from a few papers like the GL assessment, Maths Challenge book, IPS even, MGS exam specimens, Schofield and Sims ....etc

VR make up your own but use the words already provided in the sticky as these words are recycled in KE exams.

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now