11+ preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

UmSusu

Re: 11+ preparation

Post by UmSusu »

Hello shital

You have a year ahead of you still. Don't worry so much about the full practice papers yet - just concentrate on the general areas as there will still be a lot of learning to do. You mentioned the Bond books: they are a good start. Use some of the other books that have been recommended on the forum as well- the ones DIY Mum mentioned are definitely worth trying.

If you are really keen to try the longer GL/Nfer practice papers you may want to have him try one of each subject towards December just so you can track his progress over the next year. You might find it takes him longer than the time allowed on the first attempts. I think it is worth holding back on the full practice papers until later on in the year. Also remember that these papers are just an assessment tool - they do not replicate the KE exam content (see the sticky for exam content).
Last edited by UmSusu on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UmSusu
shital

Post by shital »

Thanks DIY MUM, that is really great. I am bit worried about those question like, missing few letters in word what can i do for that? Can i create by my self or there is anything i can buy for that kind of question?
Thanks.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Missing letters are the Cloze tests. You can either make them up yourself by using newspaper articles, novels, magazine articles, ks3 comprehension books etc.

See also, the older posts on 'cloze' which are on other pages in the B'ham section.

shital

Post by shital »

Thanks DIY MUM.
shital

Post by shital »

Hi is eney one got the list or any book that we can practice opposit and similers words?????
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Shital, New First Aid in English is good for synonyms (similar words) and antonyms (opposite words). We've used the Vocab builder programme that is on this site and it's been very helpful. I also get my daughter to note words down that she doesn't know in a Flipper (book of cards joined by a metal ring, available in WH Smiths). We can then review and revise them. It seems to be working...
shital

Post by shital »

Do we have to do the bond 11-12 years books in bonds????
MiniMonty

Post by MiniMonty »

Hi shital,
I feel I should strike a note on the other side of this debate. My 10 year old only came to live in Birmingham a week before the 11+ exam so had no preperation, no tuition and, most importantly, no pressure.

On the morning(s) of the exam(s) for 11+, KES etc., there were kids outside being sick, balling their eyes out and pleading with parents to let them just go home ! My advice is whatever preperation you do, try to remove the pressure, don't make it the "be all and end all" and remember that getting into a grammar school or a good independant is not an end in itself - it's the start of seven years of intense academic hot-housing.
For kids who like that it's great - for those who are not naturally that way inclined it's a nightmare.
shital

Post by shital »

He likes to do work in Maths and Verbal but English we have to stay positive. He will try hard to understand but Maths is a strong subject for him.
Dibble

Post by Dibble »

shital wrote:He likes to do work in Maths and Verbal but English we have to stay positive. He will try hard to understand but Maths is a strong subject for him.
Then you may want to consider also entering for KES; there is some evidence that much may be forgiven for a strong showing in maths.
If the fact it’s a fee paying school might put you off then please look at this http://www.kes.org.uk/assisted-places.html and the rest of the website before rejecting it out of hand.

Queen Mary’s Boys Grammar in Walsall entry used to be heavily maths biased, though not any more. Sadly, for you, it now uses the same kind of CEM tests as the KE Grammar schools *but* as far as I can work out is much easier to get into – still a very good school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now