11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

wanting4

Re: 11+

Post by wanting4 »

"Personally, I don't feel you are doing excessive amount of work with your child, contrary to the suggestions from some posters."

I'm all for hard work but if I remember rightly Shital's DS also has a tutor along with all this work which is why I cautioned against burnout. However, I don't know her child personally so who am I to judge? Hope it all works out :) .
um

Post by um »

Sorry but I agree that if you do have a tutor, as Shital does have (and one that sets a massive amount of homework too), attempting to set even more additional work could be counter-productive and this is what it appears Shital may be doing.
As one excellent tutor once said to me - You need to work smarter, not harder.
Especially when 9 or 10 year old boys are concerned.

Does this child have time to play any sport, rest, read, spend time with family and friends?
Or is he chained to a desk until September the 8th?
As otherwise I cannot see how the tutor's homework, the entire Bond book collection, and the work I and others suggested before now, can possibly all be done.

Sorry to be so provocative but in reality I am trying to be kind to the child who, unless he is very, very unusual is going to burn out before we reach June.
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

the parent should and must have the best interest at heart for their DC; we cannot judge, only guide when asked.
MSD

Post by MSD »

At no point in her original post did Shital mention the amount of time her son was spending working through the Bond books. She merely said that he does Bond books daily and reads for 15 minutes a day. How could that be excessive work? Moreover, every child is different; some need to work harder than the others and only the parent can judge what is best for their child.

A tutored child only spends a couple of hours per week with the tutor and sometimes in a group of 30 children. Are we suggesting that the parents should not be consolidating on the information their children have gathered in the limited time they have with the tutor? It's almost impossible to quantify what is too much or too little; some kids absolutely thrive under pressure and hard work and other don't!
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

Exactly; keep calm and carry on
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

um wrote: As otherwise I cannot see how the tutor's homework, the entire Bond book collection, and the work I and others suggested before now, can possibly all be done.
Two months after the 11+ consortium exams, my DS still hasnt' found the time to work on the vocab AE books I bought a year or so ago!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: But I am not in despair... I hope my DS will manage to go through them ultimately, hoping to finish them before the end of year 7 :roll: !
Oh, and there is also the more Bond 4 and 5 not done in maths... and the schofield and sims in comprehension that we haven't yet finished ...

We are full of good intentions but the time just flies by. Are we the only one in this situation?
MSD wrote:
A tutored child only spends a couple of hours per week with the tutor and sometimes in a group of 30 children. !
30!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: That must be awful!! How can proper work be done? Unless there are several tutors to take care of the class and work with small groups of children created according to their ability!

Anyway, Shital , best of luck! This 11+ prep is stressful for newbies, but just do your best and don't pass on your stress to your DS :wink:
poppit

Post by poppit »

Two months after the 11+ consortium exams, my DS still hasnt' found the time to work on the vocab AE books I bought a year or so ago!!! But I am not in despair... I hope my DS will manage to go through them ultimately, hoping to finish them before the end of year 7 !
Oh, and there is also the more Bond 4 and 5 not done in maths... and the schofield and sims in comprehension that we haven't yet finished ...

We are full of good intentions but the time just flies by. Are we the only one in this situation?
You are not alone! We are exactly the same situation with the vocab AE books. :roll:
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Same here! They are good but just too much to get through on top of everything else. Mind you, it seems I might just live to regret that as we have not heard anything from KES either.

Can you believe that DS's teacher has not bothered to send the report back to KES yet? They have had it for over a month now and when I asked her today for the second time, she said she has not had a chance to see where it is :twisted: That poor boy's chances are not looking good as it is, I just can't understand it: I know I am biased but he really is a model pupil, school council etc and loved by all at school (he has been described as the 'moral compass' of the class as he always sorts out any bullying or bad behaviour without ever getting into a fight).
UmSusu
poppit

Post by poppit »

Umsusu

Your boy sounds like he is going to grow up to be a fine young man.

A few ideas for you....

.... would it 'help' the teacher if you penned the first draft so s/he can just top, tail and tweak it - much easier for them than a dealing with a blank piece of paper.

Do you know when the report has to be in to KES by? Use this information to 'encourage' action by the teacher.

Or ask when s/he intends to have it done by. Then check progress as you near that date. There is a saying "the squeaky wheel gets oiled" - time to be squeaky I think! :wink:
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

I did call KES to ask them about this last week: they said that as long as they are still taking decisions they would take it into account as it comes in and they try not to let it prejudice applications. But it was also suggested that as they start to come down the list and run out of places, the report is going to be even more important in deciding between candidates.

I know the Head said he passed it on to her weeks ago and I was just asking her in passing when she said she had not even seen them - I don't quite believe that ( that is another story though). I was very diplomatic and said that I know she has her hands full but they have started interviews and it might hinder his chances if they don't get one. I don't think she was bothered though.

I could try suggesting that I help her by writing out a draft but was worried she might feel I was unduly influencing her. I have loved all his previous teachers but there is something about her that makes my skin crawl. I have asked her twice now and don't really know what to do now without appearing too pushy.
UmSusu
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now