Quandary over LEA preferences

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

xyzzy

Re: Quandary over LEA preferences

Post by xyzzy »

UmSusu wrote:um, I can see why they might say it as a grammar school, especially CHB, but this was a Catholic secondary. I suggested that we would want to put them down after the grammars but he insisted if we did that we would not get a place.

Well, he's right in a sense: if you pass the exam, you won't get a place at the Catholic secondary, even if you're number one amongst the category one applicants there. And he probably won't openly say "yes, I realise that we're your second choice after the grammars", he's going to tacitly assume that the most important thing is Catholicism. And he's also right in the sense that if you apply to a comp you live next door to at one, and then a Catholic school at two, you're going to the comp.

The key point: the order you should fill in the form is genuine preferences. If I can't get into 1, I want to go to 2. If I can't get into 2, I want to go to 3. There is nothing more complex than that.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Just wanted to say well done xyzzy for such a clear explanation and that he/she is right.
mad?
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

I guess he would not want to say it any other way in case parents put schools they are more likely to get into higher on the list. At the end of the day I am still going to put it after the grammars but thanks for the info :)
UmSusu
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

UmSusu wrote:I guess he would not want to say it any other way in case parents put schools they are more likely to get into higher on the list. At the end of the day I am still going to put it after the grammars but thanks for the info :)
Yes, to clarify.

The "last child admitted" score for Grammar X is 340.

Comp Z has a catchment area of a couple of miles' radius, which everyone lives inside.

RC Y has a catchment area of half a mile for category one children who are baptised and attend a feeder primary, which includes everyone.

Child 1 has put down:

1. Grammar X
2. RC Y
3. Comp Z

Child 2 has put down:

1. RC Y
2. Comp Z

Child 3 has put down:

1. RC Y
2. Grammar X
3. Comp Z

Child 4 has put down:

1. Comp Z
2. RC Y
3. Grammar X

Child 5 has put down:

1. Grammar X
2. Comp Z

If Child 1 scores 339 in the grammar test, they go to the RC school. If they score 341, they go to the Grammar. If they score 340 it depends on how far from the grammar they live. This is probably the correct thing to happen, assuming they aren't just taking the exam for fun.

Child 2 didn't take the exam and goes to the RC school.

Child 3 goes to the RC school, whatever they do in the grammar exam: they might as well have written their name and walked out, as the result is meaningless.

Child 4 goes to the Comp, whatever they do in the exam, and no matter how much they want to go to a Catholic school.

Child 5 goes to the grammar if they get the marks, otherwise the comp.

Each of the heads will say "if you want to be sure of coming here, put us first". Each is, in a sense, correct, but not in the way that parents take it away.
anxious_mother

Post by anxious_mother »

Distance factor for a grammar school only applies in case there is a tie and there are no looked after children before them. just because someone scored 340 which is the qualifying score they will not automatically get a seat even though they live next to the grammar school . I had written to the consortium and they have clearly mentioned that grammar schools do not have any distance criteria and distance is only seen in case there is a tie for the age which is highly unlikely because they will hardly be children who are born exactly on the same date( maybe 1% chance)
sasa

Post by sasa »

What do you mean tied for age?? Would the older or younger child get the place? From what I understood distance came into consideration for tied places, and that the closer candidates would be successful. I this not the case? How can places be finally decided on age? My daughter is old for the year, and we live a long way (Sutton) from her preferred school (Camp Hill) so it looks like either way she needs to be 'up the list'!! :?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Surely not age, that was prohibited in the Admissions code last time I looked. QMHS in Walsall says they'll take the first born in case of a tie between twins if there's only one place available and I reckon even that is actually in breach.

Mike
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

anxious_mother wrote:Distance factor for a grammar school only applies in case there is a tie and there are no looked after children before them. just because someone scored 340 which is the qualifying score they will not automatically get a seat even though they live next to the grammar school . I had written to the consortium and they have clearly mentioned that grammar schools do not have any distance criteria and distance is only seen in case there is a tie for the age which is highly unlikely because they will hardly be children who are born exactly on the same date( maybe 1% chance)
There is no age criteria. Whatever letter you have conflicts directly with the published over-subscription criteria:

After the test, candidates are ranked according to their test score. Where children are equal on test score, Looked After Children (in Public Care) will be given priority and then, where children are still equal on test score, those who live nearest to the school (according to the straight line distance between home and school).
xyzzy

Post by xyzzy »

mike1880 wrote:Surely not age, that was prohibited in the Admissions code last time I looked. QMHS in Walsall says they'll take the first born in case of a tie between twins if there's only one place available and I reckon even that is actually in breach.

Mike
Quite. Paragraph 2.16(o) of the 2010 School Admissions Code (their colouring):
2.16 In setting oversubscription criteria admission
authorities must not:
(...)
o) use oversubscription criteria that give
priority to children according to the
alphabetical order of their first name or
surname or their date of birth.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now