Last minute preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mike1880

Re: Last minute preparation

Post by mike1880 »

Cloze: the way CEM do it, a passage of text with either some words missing (choice of three or four words given for each gap, child has to pick the correct one) or with 2 or three letters missing from some words (child has to understand what the word must be AND be able to spell it correctly - so probably much harder!).

The missing words version was used in Birmingham originally, but for a few years now it's been the missing letters version. Warwickshire also started out with missing words but changed to missing letters last year. I think there's a fair chance QM will be the missing letters version this year. Nothing is certain, of course!

I wouldn't worry about a timer, it's not an exam where you really get the opportunity to pace yourself as far as I understand it (and anything that beeps is going to be frowned on and probably confiscated, I imagine!). As far as stationery is concerned, I sent in spare pencil, a rubber and a pencil sharpener and probably a 6in ruler, but only for my own peace of mind - they don't really need to take anything.

Mike
Fountain

Post by Fountain »

Thankyou, to Poiuyt, Um, and Mike1880 you all sound so experienced!!!!! Will send spare stationary in a clear case. Suppose I was thinking of a watch rather than a timer as my DC may struggle to see clock depending on were they sit him, but I am sure I read somewhere that a recorded message is played.
So there are not 2 45 minute papers but shorter timed sections, so when the say 10 minutes or so is up, DC has no choice but to move on even if the section is not completed? If that makes sense?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Yes, you could think of it as 3 or four timed sections, then a 15 min break, then another 3 or 4 sections. I understand each section has to be tackled within its time slot - they're not allowed to go on to the next section if they finish early and they're not allowed to go back.

Mike
Fountain

Post by Fountain »

Thankyou very much Mike1880, have you been through all this before?
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

I think at the bottom of the Right hand side page, there are instructions as to whether the candidate should turn over the page or STOP; this is probably the singel most important thing to tutor the children taking the test. I know many cases where the child STOPS instead of ploughing onto page 4 & 5 (for example).

Good luck to all for this coming weekend in the midlands area.
um

Post by um »

Yes - my ds2 has done that a number of times when we've been preparing. I will give him 2 pages of work, he will complete one and then sit and stare at the wall :roll:

Better to make the mistake in practice than reality, but I am not convinced that boys learn a great deal from their mistakes.
I remember him at about 2, constantly climbing onto the sofa and then falling off onto the hard floor...again, and again and again. I did wonder if there would ever come a point when he learned his lesson!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now