Less than 24 hrs! Good Luck all

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

twinsmom11

Less than 24 hrs! Good Luck all

Post by twinsmom11 »

Hi everyone

I've been an avid follower of this forum all though these past few months and I should admit that I have learnt so many things without which I would have been in the wilderness by now :shock: Now with nothing much to do except pray and give some last minute advice to calm 'our' minds because I am not sure how much our kids really follow :? But neverthless I am trying to drive home few points which this forum has provided in the last few days. So I put most of them together and it will be helpful if someone can add few more things to the list below. Having twins I feel one way lucky in the sense that it is all going to end in one go and whatever the destiny is in waiting, we will accept that with no regrets at all as I am sure everyone has put their heart into this preparation. However tensed I am both my DS's are just counting the hours so they can get all the goodies which we promissed..and the list kept on increasing that I lost count :roll:

Ok time to say special thanks to everyone who has contributed so much and I wish/pray that all of your Dc's will get through this phase smiling. :D :D

So Good Luck everyone and God bless!!!!

1. Exam pattern:You could think of it as 3 or four timed sections, then a 15 min break, then another 3 or 4 sections. I understand each section has to be tackled within its time slot - they're not allowed to go on to the next section if they finish early and they're not allowed to go back.
Generally at the bottom of the Right hand side page, there are instructions as to whether the candidate should turn over the page or STOP; this is probably the singel most important thing to tutor the children taking the test. I know many cases where the child STOPS instead of ploughing onto page 4 & 5 (for example).

IMPORTANT: Make Sure They Read the Full Question!!!!

2. Stationary:
As far as stationery is concerned, I sent in spare pencil, a rubber and a pencil sharpener and probably a 6in ruler, but only for my own peace of mind - they don't really need to take anything.

3. Preparation:The prep should have been done now and gentle advise given on last minute tips. eg. stay calm, read the question correctly, don't spend too long on each question but be accurate. guess if you have absolutley no idea- you never know. And don't worry if you didn't finish.
And most importantly- tell them that you will be proud of them , no matter what happens!

4. Organise:If you're anything like me, you'll get everything you'll need organised the night before and preferably in car - like any paperwork you have to take to the school, pencils and rubbers etc if they're not supplied - so they can't be left behind. Get snack sorted. Check what he/she wants to wear so not tearing through the washing machine the next morning in search of something wet or grubby which is the suddenly must have t-shirt.
I'm going to go to bed with my mobile phone - we don't want a power cut to zonk out my alarm clock and end up missing the wretched thing ! Blimey, can you imagine, after all this!!

5. Loo Break & Snacks:They only have 15 mins break - to eat, chat and go to the loo! Make sure DC visits the loo first! As for snack- something light: bottle of water, a banana, snack bar...
poiuyt

Re: Less than 24 hrs! Good Luck all

Post by poiuyt »

am glad someone read instruction number 1!! cannot re-iterate that enough, better to answer all the questions than a third or even a quarter...
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

May I ask a question which suddenly bother me?
If a child make a mistake and sees that, what is best:
to rub ?
or to cross? before amending the answer.

Rubbing takes time :( ... but maybe if the wrong answer is just crossed, the computer will get confused and don't give the point if the child did put the right answer in his second attempt...

I am really confused of the advice I should give to my DS concerning that matter :?
Can somebody help please?
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

Child will be told tomorrow after doors are closed, don't confuse at eleventh hour. All explained tomorrow
um

Post by um »

There's a thread somewhere here about 2 years old, where I was worried because ds1 came home saying he hadn't rubbed, but only crossed out mistakes.

Some other posters :? insisted he was done for as they said you must rub out not cross out :cry:

I called the Foundation office on Monday morning to be reassured that papers were marked by hand, not computer, and either was fine.

However I would always advise dcs to listen very very carefully to instructions about amending mistakes.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

agreed with poiuyt, they will be told very clearly what to do if they make a mistake and how to correct it.