Advice for the Night Before and the BIG Day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stressedaddy

Advice for the Night Before and the BIG Day

Post by stressedaddy »

Hello,

Quick question, any last minute advice for the day before and on the day. of the test. I know about not doing anymore work the day befoe, and relaxing, but any other useful tips would be kindly appreciated.

Thank you.

:?
Milla

Post by Milla »

fresh air? bit of a run around? early night without winding them up, "in bed by seven, my boy" will not go down well and they won't go to sleep so why bother. I'm not in your region but have the same date for the test. Gulp.

If you're anything like me, you'll get everything you'll need organised the night before and preferably in car - like any paperwork you have to take to the school, pencils and rubbers etc if they're not supplied - so they can't be left behind. Get snack sorted. Check what he/she wants to wear so not tearing through the washing machine the next morning in search of something wet or grubby which is the suddenly must have t-shirt.

I'm going to go to bed with my mobile phone (who said romance was dead) - we are subject to endless consumer unit board (? :shock: ) problems and I don't want a power cut to zonk out my alarm clock and end up missing the wretched thing ! :shock: :shock: Blimey, can you imagine, after all this!!

Personally, I'm not doing any more work with him. Enough's enough. I know of people who've cancelled all after school / saturday morning extra things (footie, scouts, karate etc) which to me is madness: too much pressure, too little real life.

Aim to get up with enough time in the morning so as not to have to panic. I plan to chat about the X Factor, his karate, the book he's reading, even the ****** dog. ANYTHING but last minute instructions. Too late.

Big bottle of vino in fridge for later. For me, not him.

GOOD LUCK!!
um

Post by um »

thanks for the advice

its suggested children bring a snack on the day - any suggestions what?
Milla

Post by Milla »

bananas are always mentioned as good slow release energy stuff and luckily my boy likes them - just have to hope they don't get squashed and gummy and disgusting (am a bit squeamish about bananas to be honest, shudder). He also likes oatcakes, miraculously. Then maybe a nice little biscuit to stop it all being too worthy and dull. And a small bottle of water. Which reminds me to insist he remembers to go to the loo. Another thing to stress about. Knowing him, he'll put his hand up half through the test and then maunder out at half a mile an hour, stroll along, get obsessive washing his hands and saunter back in having wasted 15 minutes. Aaargh. Have just said on another thread that have reached the Ommmm stage, and it's all unravelling !!!
Sally Herts

Post by Sally Herts »

I'd go for non-chocolate (due to the melting!) nice (but not Nice) biscuits. I'd avoid bananas, as my son is a messy eater!

My DS always needs to go to the loo in the middle of practice papers. I'm sure it's just to torment me. I've stopped reminding him before doing a paper now, just to see whether he remembers on his own. He never does...

I'm sure they'll remind the children on the day - will they?
freddy

Post by freddy »

Hi, I'm new to this but just wondered whether it is a good thing to forget about doing any work this week. I did very little with DS last week during half term and have given up now as it scared me how little he seems to remember !!!! On the other hand his best friend worked for a min of 3 hours a day every day during half term and now has the week off school and is working all day on practise papers at home.
I'm pretty relaxed about the whole thing but am beginning to panic incase I'm being too relaxed !!! Any thoughts ????
mm2

Post by mm2 »

Hi freddy
You have got the right strategy. I think your son's friends parents have now lost the plot.....
We all want our children to succeed, but also want a happy confident child who is not stressed to to hilt.

The prep should have been done now and gentle advise given on last minute tips. eg. stay calm, read the question correctly, don't spend too long on each question but be accurate. guess if you have absolutley no idea- you never know. And don't worry if you didn't finish.

And most importantly- we will be proud of you , no matter what happens.

good luck all.

mm2
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Stressdaddy, Milla has said it all.

They only have 15 mins break - to eat, chat and go to the loo! Make sure DC visits the loo first!

As for snack- something light: bottle of water, a satsuma, snack bar...

Keep relaxed, lots of pep talk and definitely have your paper work, outfit ready the night before. Lid on any instructions...although, I did give him just one: make sure you RTFQ! (Thanks KenR :wink: )

Best of luck!
moved

Post by moved »

I always advise early nights, healthy food, lots of protein for the poor overworked brain.

Very little work, lots of relaxing, reading, not too much computer.

Lie about scores this week if any are poor (not good morally but confidence is more important).

Be led by your child regarding his/her needs.

Tell your child that they are clever and well prepared.

Hide your stress. 8)
freddy

Post by freddy »

Thank you mm2, it is good to hear someone confirm my opinion. My DS wanted to do the exam and then fought me every step of the way when it came to doing any work for it so I must be honest our preparation has been stressful !! However he has worked his way through all the practise papers and we know if he is lucky enough to get a place, it'll be on his own merit - it would destroy his confidence if he'd been worked so hard to pass the exam and then couldn't keep up when he got there.
Good luck to everyone ....... be glad when Saturday is over and we can relax !!!!