Early date for B'ham GS exams 2012

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
UmSusu

Re: Early date for B'ham GS exams 2012

Post by UmSusu »

Thankyou Camphillian :D . Now I just hope that DS1's revision pays off :wink:.
UmSusu
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Wonder if this new date will skew things towards those who spend all summer at home and against those who tend to be away on family holidays and other activities. Our summer holiday is mostly spent away from home (4 of the 6 weeks), but I can't see us changing that despite having two boys to put through the 11+ after our daughter this year. That family time in the summer is enormously precious to us. Mind you, it doesn't mean the kids can't study too, but it's in a rather less formal situation. (Mental maths in a tent, anyone?)

Hopefully fewer weeks of slog will make our kids happier and less stressed and leave room in Year 6 for more interesting challenges. My daughter will be learning touch typing once she's sat her indie exams in January, learning to read music properly and she's going to be starting in the girl guides as well. The sooner the exams happen the better in my opinion...
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

It is difficult to say whether it will work for them or against them. I think some will benefit from a steady build up and those who have already completed their preparation might benefit from a break - I suppose it depends on how much they still need to do.

Family holiday time is valuable but I have already decided not to go away in the summer as I will probably end up leaving more than I should until the last minute and it always takes me ages to get life back into a routine after holidays :? .

I agree that it is good news that they can get the exam over with and use Year 6 to join in other activities - I regret that DS had to pull out of activities this term. DS1 and DS2 plan to launch a magazine in January and have endless ideas about the free gifts they will offer to entice buyers ...... I suspect that bankruptcy and a lot of doomed ideas are lurking around the corner :wink:
UmSusu
faceless

Early date for B'ham GS exams 2012

Post by faceless »

DIY Mum wrote:Never tried it for my other dc but I have to admit that I was looking forward to registering for the Warks' exam as a test practice :oops: That's now out of the window!

Well, I suppose we have more time to prepare for the indie's now...

Is it so?
If tests are on the same date and not the same, register for both and then you can use Warwickshire as a mock and then take Bham' at a later sitting.

Since Warwickshire have second and third exams, All Warwickshire applicants can play this game.
use Bham as a mock and then take the Warks exam the week after, by which time you will know what is and is not in the exam.
It is a comical situation, ill thought out. Buy, "hey", I am sure people will exploit it.

Update... Warks admissions stated 8th Sep 2012 is not confirmed. It is under consultation.
Last edited by faceless on Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's what is said and not who said it, that counts."
Camphillian

Post by Camphillian »

It would be even better if it was the same test, although I suppose that is unlikely :shock: . However even if they are just using a similar one it would be excellent practice.
Lemonsqueezy

Post by Lemonsqueezy »

Does anyone know about dates for AGS? They don't seem to have updated their website yet. Thanks
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Newport Girls is Sep 14th so you might make a stab at Sep 13th for AGS - but it doesn't look as though they've decided yet.

Mike
Lemonsqueezy

Post by Lemonsqueezy »

Thanks Mike1880. I'll keep an eye out for an update on their website.
exerji

Post by exerji »

How many girls appear for the KE Consortium exams every year ?
Thanks
Last edited by exerji on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

faceless wrote: Is it so?
If tests are on the same date and not the same, register for both and then you can use Warwickshire as a mock and then take Bham' at a later sitting.

Since Warwickshire have second and third exams, All Warwickshire applicants can play this game.
use Bham as a mock and then take the Warks exam the week after, by which time you will know what is and is not in the exam.
Update: there is only one test date (8th September) for B'ham Consortium Grammar Schools. Warwickshire offers two test dates because they are aware of the clash. The 2nd date will soon be confirmed.... :arrow: 15th Sept.

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now