Failed/not even on waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dobey

Failed/not even on waiting list

Post by Dobey »

My daughter is projected to attain level 5's in her SAT'S 2007 but unfortunately just did not perform on the day of the test. Is it worth appealing? Does anyone know of any incidences where this has occured and the appeal was succesful :(
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Dobey,

It depends which exam and how far short of the pass mark she was. Is she on the waiting list and if so what position?

Sats predictions by themselves don't count for that much. (see the appeals section)

If it's for the KE Foundation Grammars, I understand that very few appeasl are successful (you can get an idea from the KE Foundation Gosvenors Annual Report) - I think last year at KEFW there was one successful appeal.

Ken
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Dobey

Some further stats on KE Foundation appeals which is published in the governors report. These figures related to the Nov 2005 exam for Sept 2006 entry across all of the KE grammar but this years figures will be similar:-
The number of admission appeals fell by nearly half to 165. The number pursued to a final hearing also reduced from 128 to 65. Seven
appeals were agreed.
Only one complaint regarding admission was raised with (and dismissed by) the Local Authority Ombudsman.
The report is available at http://www.kingedwardsfoundation.co.uk/ ... s_2006.pdf

Hope this helps

For Ken R or anyone else in the know..

Post by Guest »

Child not offered place at KE grammar following Nov 2006 test.

How do we find out if it's worthwhile investing any hope in a late allocation of a place - would we have been informed by now if we were close to the pass mark? Do I need to request this info from the KE admin people? If so, how?

Thanks in advance for your help.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Guest,

You need to find out what score that had, how far short of the pass mark and what position on the waiting list.

It sounds from previous posts that if you within a few marks of the pass and are prepared to consider moving your child next year, that you could be offered the opportunity to later, maybe via a further exam.

Post by Guest »

Thanks Ken - will the KE foundation office reveal this data if we contact them direct? Do we have to use the Freedom of Information act etc?

And one final point - are all students who fail to meet the required standard placed on a waiting list by default or do we have to specifically request this?

Many thanks for your time..
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Guest

If you speak to the Foundation they should clarify the points. I suspose in theory the waiting list is open ended, however in practice you need to be within a few points of the respective pass marks.

I believe it's automatic (until Sept)