KES exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
UmSusu

KES exam

Post by UmSusu »

It has gone all quiet here - apart from that short burst last week :wink: .

Just wanted to pass on my best wishes to all DCs sitting for KES this weekend. I am sure there is room for all of them to pass, although I do worry that I might be kidding myself sometimes.

I will be so glad to see the back of practice papers and workbooks - I am sooooo bored by them - I feel sorry for DS. I don't know about the rest of you but it has been difficult to keep any momentum going since the grammar exams, so we just concentrated on writing and generating ideas from topics. We have made some progress but I am afraid everything still involves time travel and space. He even used it for the solihull exam!

Good luck - there's not long now until we can start counting down!
UmSusu
Turtlegirl

Re: KES exam

Post by Turtlegirl »

Not sitting KES but my daughter is sitting EHS this Saturday AND KEHS at the end of Jan. *sigh* Have rather given up practice papers too, but have been doing the odd bit of writing practice. Nearly all based on 101 Dalmatians (not Disney but the pukka Dodie Smith novel). I've been trying to remind her not to call ALL her villains Mrs De Vil.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

:lol: they seem to think that no-one will ever guess where they get their ideas from!

Our posts must have crossed -I just left you a message on the other thread but you have answered my question about the exam dates anyway.

Best of luck to your DD.
UmSusu
poppit

Post by poppit »

Hi Umsusu

Yes we are doing KES on Saturday as well. I say 'we' because that is exactly what it feels like.

Like you we haven't kept up the same level of momentum following the grammar tests. Just ticking over doing some harder maths problem solving and comprehension, as much as anything so he is used to seeing horrible questions. This seems to be working well, at the beginning hard stuff would really upset him, now it doesn't, don't get me wrong, it doesn't mean he can answer everything now, but he can takes it in his stride. He came out of Solihull quite calm and relaxed. We are both a bit bored with the papers and I have wanted to avoid him 'switching off', so we have just ticked along doing a little bit most days. We joke about what we are going to do with the free time we will have soon, as it has become such a way of life.

I have heard through the grapevine that KES has had a record number of applications this year - 600 I think.

And then it is the wait for the results..........
anxious_mother

Post by anxious_mother »

Hi UmSusu,
How was the Solihull exam ? DS said Maths was ok but the poem in English was a bit tough. As far as writing was concerned ,he said he wrote 1 page. Did you know the poem they gave was actually from KS4 lessons although the questions are not exactly the same level of difficulty they are expecting kids to do good job for their level .
In Kes exam also they give a poem I heard. Not sure if there will be a choice for Story Writing :x . Don't know what else to do for Maths.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

anxious_mother wrote:Hi UmSusu,
How was the Solihull exam ? DS said Maths was ok but the poem in English was a bit tough. As far as writing was concerned ,he said he wrote 1 page. ........
............Not sure if there will be a choice for Story Writing :x . Don't know what else to do for Maths.
Hi anxious_mother,

DS seemed ok after the exam but I try not to read too much into that: some children are just relieved to have got through an exam and are optimistic that they managed most questions, whilst others ignore what they did manage and fret about what they found difficult. DS couldn't really find ideas in the writing element of the Handsworth exam but seems happier with the Solihull exam. He wrote one page too and was happy with what he produced ( he promises that he didn't just increase the size of his writing :lol: ). One page is a good attempt and what counts is the quality.

They will have their results out next week, which is alarmingly soon. I am also under the impression that KES does not give a choice in topic.

Poppit, please don't say record number of applicants - it might be our only hope! I really like KES and it is near enough for him to cycle there. Neither of us are looking forward to the early starts that catching a bus to the grammars will entail (of course, on offers day I will probably not think about that as long as he gets a place at one of his preference schools!).

Like you we have tried to do some of the tougher sections on the Indie papers, just so that DS can get used to facing tricky questions.

With any luck, they might just have some fun during that extended lunch session - I think it is a good idea now. I couldn't take DS to the open day because of the Handsworth exam so it will give him a chance to see it.
UmSusu
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Hope y'all have a good day tomorrow folks. Can't believe we have YET ANOTHER Saturday morning when we have to be bright and cheery, breakfasted and out of the house before 8am.

After that it's two mornings on the trot at KEHS at the end of the month. Will we be the last then? *sobs into Friday evening wineglass*
poppit

Post by poppit »

Good luck to all our DS's taking the KES exam. This is our last exam - which seems slightly strange after all the long build up of revision, frustration, lessons in patience (and child psychology) for me and algebra for him and in the end pride in how far he has come (and recently wry amusement from him when he beats me to the answer). I never expected this, but the process of home tutoring has made us even closer. What will be will be after tomorrow, but I know we have both done what we can. Now to work out what I am going to do with this 'spare' time!
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Isn't it a relief for it all to be over?

We got there nice and early in the morning and parked in the university car park, so the drop-off was not too hectic. On the other hand, when I saw the sheer numbers of people flooding in and out in the afternoon I realised just how competitive it was going to be to get a place.

Poor DS looked completely worn out by the time he came home. I guess there were no great surprises in the exam but he was quite shaken by the level of difficulty in the final maths section. He said it was much tougher than the Solihull maths paper.

Am I correct in thinking that Solihull results will be out this week?
UmSusu
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

my nephew in brummie land took kes yesredday, said english and comprehension was very hard, cznt believe Solihulll would,be hatder than KES, most get into solihull that apply. Good luck.
Results shouls start trickling through from this week all over, we are also waiting in londfon area
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now