KE 5-Ways New Head

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mike1880

Re: KE 5-Ways New Head

Post by mike1880 »

There are never as many parents of girls here I don't think. I don't know about other parents, but academically our daughter has always been much less worrying and troublesome and frustrating, much more consistent and predictable and much more organised and motivated. I just didn't need to be on here fretting and ranting, unlike with our son (bless his little cotton socks). Daughter just got on with it.

Mike
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Alas, my daughter is not like mike1880's! So that's why I've been here. Plus our experience of being sacked by our first tutor... My boys are actually far more compliant - so I might be posting a little less as I go through the 11+ with them over the next few years. Mind you, they've not started studying yet, so perhaps I'm being over optimistic...
tiredmama

Post by tiredmama »

mike1880 wrote:That's awful um. You've got me worried now, in fact I think I'm so worried that it's likely to affect our son and make him ill on 3rd Sept :shock: .

Five Ways December 2011 newsletter - they intend to take a week less in the summer holiday and compensate with an extra week at autumn half term. Obviously no working parents involved in that decision...

Mike
Interesting to have come across this, I phoned up today in a hope of arranging a visit and was informed that they are on half term. they have 2 weeks off in october and 5 in the summer. I feel summer holidays are short as they are...
"To show me is far better than to lecture everyday.
To lead me is far greater than to just point out the way.
So if you tell me everything then I shall understand,
But rapid streams of words cannot compete with deed of hand[...]"
koala

Post by koala »

KEFW pupils are currently on their first week of a two week October half term. They went back to school at the end of August. After the first year of trialling this, a few years ago, the school asked the parents for their views and we were told that the vast majority of parents were happy with this arrangement so it has carried on. It works out to 2 x 7 weeks of term time. With two children at the school, they are both enjoying a well earned break.

It is unfortunate that parents have so little time to view potential schools and make important decisions. However, the schools do encourage prospective pupils and their parents to view the schools at Open Days when their DC are in Years 5 and 6 and work out travel logistics etc.

It seemed easier somehow when you didn't get the scores until 1st March and parents tended to view all the grammar schools and place them on the CAF in order of preference, not knowing if they had any hope of getting in or not. With all the talk about scores, I feel we were lucky to have not known my DC's scores. Once you are in the school, it doesn't matter what score you got, so long as you are prepared to get involved and work hard.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now