Camp Hill Birmingham maths paper

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
David

Camp Hill Birmingham maths paper

Post by David »

My daughter has just passed the Camp Hill exam. She found the maths paper extremely difficult and was not able to do large parts of it. She was reasonably well practiced but was surprised at the format. Is there something different about this particular paper to the ones in the books. Does anyone know where to get copies of this type of paper? I'm interested to find out because by son will be sitting next year.

Post by Guest »

Uhm .....strange....just do more of the same work with son, and I am sure he will cope.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi David

My son did the exam last year and also found that he wasn't able to complete all of the Maths questions - the issue wasn't particularly a difficulty issue more of a timing issue.

I obtained his scores for the exam from the Foundation Office (for reasons that I have explained in other postings) and found out that he scored quire high in the numerical section (Standardised score of 130) - so that implies that the Maths/numerical section is very hard.

I also obtained the full tables showing the raw scores and Age Standardised conversion for the tests held in Nov 2004 (similar test). This confirmed that the raw scores for a pass are quite low compared to conventional NFER type 11+ papers.

For example, in Nov 2004 the highest pass mark was 347 (for Camp Hill boys) - the lowest was Handsworth Girls which was 317. A Pass score of 347 is equivalent to 3 x 116.

For the Maths/Numerical section to get an age standardised score of 116 for a child of my sons age (End Dec Birthday) you would only have had to score 46 out of 82 on the Maths/Numerical Section. That's far lower that the usual NFER raw scores. This would be even lower for the other KE Schools - e.g. 113 was only 43/82 and that's still 339!

My son is very good at Maths - so I was initially quite surprised when he said that he missed out about 5 questions. However all was ok in the end.

The key as with all of the 11+ maths exams is precision and speed!

I actually think the Numerical/Maths sections of the KE exams are ok - much more scope for getting a good mark with lots of practice.

Hope this helps