KES Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
UmSusu

Re: KES Results

Post by UmSusu »

Welcome back JE! :D . It is very good to have you (almost) back to your old self again and read the adventures of your wonderful mind. We have missed you.

I look forward to the next instalment........
UmSusu
ok1

Post by ok1 »

JaneEyre wrote: Is this really a sign of being amongst the first in the written exam? Does Mrs Phillips really call the boys for scholarship interviews in order by going down the ranking list?? I had such an impression from the posts on this forum. Please, could somebody tell me the answer to these questions as it will be a balm for my heart to know that my DS was really near the top of the ranking for the written exams.
Hi JayneEyre, Hope you are well.

From my conversations with KES, they offer a max of 5 scholarships to outstanding boys, not just the top 5. So if in a year only 1 boy performs above others, they will only offer 1, it varies year on year.

For your son to be awarded a scholarship proves he was not just near the top but was outstanding, combine this with the list of other scholarship awards and offers and you have unquestionable proof that your son has not only performed well in one exam but many. You have a truly remarkable young man in the making and no doubt extremely proud of what he has accomplished at such an age.

I would go to WHSmith and invest in a notebook, as you will need it to list all his achievements. I would also keep the notebook open until the end of the week as I am so confident that there will be even more good news to add.

Best wishes
ok1
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Oh dear, I don't manage to come on this forum daily... and I see so many new threads in just two days!!!! No time to read them all. Just wishing all of you the best of luck tonight!

And my inbox has still 7 message that I haven't opened yet! Still haven't had the time to see how to empty it. :( Be assure that I'll read them all with great pleasure (hopefully!) and answer to you all. But frankly, that'll take me some time before managing to do so as I have also some earthly matters to take care of. :(

And even Mrs Phillips is coming on here :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
ok1 wrote: From my conversations with KES, they offer a max of 5 scholarships to outstanding boys, not just the top 5. So if in a year only 1 boy performs above others, they will only offer 1, it varies year on year.

No, I don't think there are only 5 scholarships.

I mean , you and bacchus make already 2, my son and the bright little boy in his class, that makes four. Somebody having a screenname like badminton with a 2 somewhere, had also one. I might have forgotten others who came on this site to tell their good news. I've heard about two more boys with scholarship... and I haven't yet contacted a mum that I know and whose very bright boy sat KES and I would be surprised if he did not get a scholarship also.

So the number 5 is definitely wrong. So we, parents, do not have all the info between our hands. :?
So is life. Never mind...
ok1 wrote: I would go to WHSmith and invest in a notebook, as you will need it to list all his achievements. I would also keep the notebook open until the end of the week as I am so confident that there will be even more good news to add.
ok1
:lol: :lol: :lol:
No, I won't do that, but I'll try my best that my DS get a great education, not only intellectually, but also spiritually and sportly.
In a nutshell, to be a well-round citizen, with a good heart and a good head!

Concerning the academic side of human development, Montesquieu (a French thinker) used to say
'Mieux vaut tête bien faite que tête bien pleine'.
loose transation:
'Better head (= mind) well structured than head very full'
Meaning:
'It is important to possess a logical and well structured mind than to have memorised many facts'

Well, why not trying to have a logical and well structured mind while trying to have a culture as vast as possible, knowing that human knowledge is limited and only the All Mighty knows everything?

I really feel that the French school system of education tends more than the British one to make 'head very full' while the British system of education tends more to make 'better heads'. The right balance is the aim to reach!

Here I go again bothering you with comparaison between France and Britain! :shock: :lol: :lol:
Never mind. And enough philo for today!! :wink:

Wishing you all the best for your DC tonight!
Last edited by JaneEyre on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I imagine they award as many scholarships each year as they think are deserved, so the number will vary. But the average is somewhere around 15 per year.

Mike
ok1

Post by ok1 »

I stand corrected!

I may have been mistaken but was under the impression that for Y7 intake, there were 5 academic in addition to 1 music, other awards are offered for intakes into other years and the combined total averages to around 15.