KES : Good news

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Kegs Mom 3

Re: KES : Good news

Post by Kegs Mom 3 »

No AP here either, but the offer of a fee paying place that, like others, we cannot manage.
Huge well done to those with Scholarship/AP offers and offers that you are able to manage.
Good luck to all for next week, and no matter what the outcome, we are all so very proud of all our DC for trying their very best :D
BaccHus25

Post by BaccHus25 »

ok1 wrote:Many thanks UmSusu for setting this thread up, has taken some uneasiness away. Appreciate this is a sensitive time, and sincerely feel for those who did not get the news they were after. I write with some hesitation with fused feelings of joy and guilt but here goes:

Just a few words to share some good news and congratulate DS for attaining a full KES scholarship and also awarded a bursary/AP. Struggling to believe the news as it is still sinking in, we heard about such dual awards but never expected such an offer would actually materialise - very surreal.

The shock of achieving such an offer is greater due to an incident last year, when in a panicked state we approached a well known birmingham tutor, who point blank stated that DS was not of grammar school calibre. She refused to assist in any way stating that there was no way, in the time left, he would have a chance of getting a place, no matter what we did. We were told resolutely that it was too late for him to be applying himself for grammar and furthermore DS “did not show the potential needed”. It seemed like all hope was lost but we still believed that he could do it.

The experience left us upset and angry at both tutor and ourselves for being unprepared, on reflection, not sure how way leads onto way but in some way, this may have been the very catalyst that propelled DS. I fondly recall waking up early one Sat and finding DS in the study who got up early to go through some questions that he got wrong the day before, and did not finish until he got the right answer, not sure where he gets this die hard determination as it certainly is not from us.

My only advice is never say never, and dread to think how many parents may have yielded to her verdict and given up.

There are many of you to thank for the generous support and selfless assistance shown to others, if it was not for this forum then we would be truthfully lost. We stumbled on this forum by chance which has turned out to become the central force in our 11+ preparation, and will be eternally indebted to the many contributors for their advice.

Cross emotions, mixing elation with sadness for those that did not get the news they were after, thoughts and prayers are with you. I believe everything happens for a reason, and repeat that no one knows which way the wind will blow next, but wish it carries you to your destination; 1st March is not far away.

Best regards to all.

ok1

(off to get some ladoos)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK1
It's absolutely fab news for your family and congratulation to you and your DS.

Your story is very moving and I think it's motivation for all of us. Nothing is impossible.

My DS has also been offered same 100% Scholarship/AP place at KES and we still can't believe it.
Hopefully we will cross our paths in the near future.

There is a welcome invitation on the letter for next Monday at 7pm for new parents to meet each other and teachers. I think it's is brilliant of KES to do that.

I was also touched by the hand written note on the bottom of the letter from the chief master.

Enjoy your evening and oh yeah I had to get some Ladoo on my way back from work.

Regards

BaccHus25
rachag

Post by rachag »

A picture of these ladoo would be nice if anyone is good at that sort of thing. Scanning over it when they were first mentioned, I thought you meant those orange plastic balls on strings that were aroung in the 70's :oops:
I really hope there are a nice lot in Bham on here again in 2 years time when I have got my next one doing the exams.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

rachag - I have a boy who'll be sitting the grammar school exams and KES in 2013 and another who'll be sitting them in 2015 (so far away!). See you around?!

I think these are laddoos - hopefully my Google-fu is working okay:
um

Post by um »

To be fair I never understood why people like ladoos :lol: but I won't say no to some chocolate barfi :wink:
BaccHus25

Post by BaccHus25 »

HaHa Um I've got some of that Burfee as well.
If we were on twitter Ladoos would have been trendind by now.

By the way Um you seem to have a really nice and easy going personality.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

I'm yet to find a South Asian dessert that I can eat more than a teaspoon of, other than kulfi & kheer. Everything that's made from boiled milk and sugar is just too intensely sweet for me. Never tried chocolate barfi tho'...
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

Ghajar halwa
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Could I count that as one of my five fruit and veg, poiuyt?
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

ok1 wrote:The shock of achieving such an offer is greater due to an incident last year, when in a panicked state we approached a well known birmingham tutor, who point blank stated that DS was not of grammar school calibre. She refused to assist in any way stating that there was no way, in the time left, he would have a chance of getting a place, no matter what we did. We were told resolutely that it was too late for him to be applying himself for grammar and furthermore DS “did not show the potential needed”. It seemed like all hope was lost but we still believed that he could do it.
Are you tempted to call her and shout "in your face" at her? :lol:

Congratulations!
x
Vic x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now