KES : Good news

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rachag

Re: KES : Good news

Post by rachag »

(sorry - quick foray back into the food.... going to a well known Bham restaurant that could be paraphrased as James's Herbs off Broad Street on Sunday - they do ladoos from the picture and kheer. Will try them and think of you celebrating)

AP's are means tested awards from the benevolent funds of the school, on a sliding scale depending on income and examination achievement. I am prepared to be corrected on this.

sorry cross posted
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

Do you mean jimmys spices? That is crap food, go to lady pool road or shahi masala in stechford; better tasting
um

Post by um »

Sorry but I have to agree with poiuyt on that one...most buffets are pretty :roll: and JS is :roll: :roll:
Still shuddering from the time when, at the end of a meal, I noticed lipstick on my glass (I never, ever wear lipstick).

The only decent buffet I know in Bham is Lazzat on Coventry Road and it is well worth it...always good quality food and service and lovely family friendly atmosphere (no alcohol either :D ). They have Indian, Arab, Chinese and Italian food, plus dessert.

I now have to admit that if ds2 gets into 5 Ways, we'll be going there on 1 March :)
ok1

Post by ok1 »

I thought I was in shock this morning, but the other overwhelming memory I will treasure from today is the tirade of good wishes that you have been kind enough to post. :D

I expected my family to be happy and they were, DS will be the first one from both sides of the families to go to a selective school. :D

I never expected such responses from people I had never met, I am left speechless, cannot really put into words how moved I am to hear of best wishes from all the people, the very action confirms to me the nature of the people that belong to this forum, I am lucky to be part of this process with you and to share the ups and downs is a privilege, I in turn thank you all for your kind words, really am speechless. :o

anxious_mother – many thanks for your kind words, your DS achieved a personal goal and wish luck on your side on 1st March.

tans – sorry again for your news hope for better in March.

bubblebug – thanks and big well done and congratulations on you and yours on your offer.

UmSusu – thanks for your kind words, fingers crossed for 1st March, and ‘ok1 tutors’ begins trading for Sep exams – lol.

Claireabel – thanks and good luck with the waiting list, I hope that a position becomes available, thanks for your words.

Poiuyt – thank you Sir for your kind words.

twinsmom11 – thank you and wish you luck on the 1st March.

wanting4 – thanks, you have the pleasure of experiencing the 11+ rollercoaster ride first hand next year, good luck, you will need a sick bag :D.

Tutrlegirl – thanks and sorry to hear about your bout with the tutor, agree with your views, wish you the very best of luck for 2013 and 2015.

Goodman – thanks and yes possibly the same tutor, I also wish you best of luck in your endeavours, never say never.

JayneEyre – congratulations on the Magdalene and Warwick scholarships, no little feat, thanks for your kind words and wish you the very best for you and your DS, fingers crossed.

um – thanks for your kind words and also congratulations on the offer for DS2, wish you the best in your decision making, for the three little nippers as well, I think you secretly enjoy this gruelling punishment. Agree with the barfi, but ladoos are what people expect, if had my way I would jump in a bath of Rasmalai finished of with some Gulaab Jamun’s, and a cup of tea – nice.

pushymum – thanks and also congrats on the offer and I would not give up on AP, I would also recommend that you make the school aware that you still want it, and you never know your luck may change.

DIY Mum – many thanks for your kind words.

bad1min2ton – thanks and many congratulations on your scholarship, well done to your DS. The asian foods you speak of are the forbidden foods to the calorie or health conscious amongst us, only referred to as the ‘food that has no name’. :twisted: Imagine the sweetest thing on this planet and then multiply it by infinity, finished off with customary gold leaf to add a little razzmatazz, if it really needed that. If you place no value on your sour taste buds then next time walk past an asian sweet shop, ask for a small selection of mixed sweets. :D :D

Kegs Mom 3 – Thanks and well done on getting the offer, no small feat, fingers crossed for 1st march.

BaccHus25 – Many congrats on your offer, well done and enjoy the Ladoos, be careful to pace yourself else you’ll regret it, and yes speaking from experience. Also im very sure that our paths will cross in the near future.

FluffyD – many thanks Vic – Yes very funny ‘in your face’, I am saving it for after 1st March, then I will let the said individual know exactly where she stands, I only hope other parents are not deterred by what people tell them.

And finally Reeyah – your story is deeply touching, I did not realise. I currently have a member of my family currently going through the same treatment, and so left struggling to fathom how you and your dear son managed this journey. I lower my head in awe at your dear son, you say ‘Cream always rises to the top’, in my opinion you are already there and cannot get any higher, the very best of luck.

If I have missed anyone and quite possibly I have, I apologise in advance, just grateful to be amongst people such as yourselves and wish you the genuine best - not sure what else I can say to actually convey how much I appreciate all your kind words - only thing I can think of is "Thank you".

Be lucky and good luck.

ok1

Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey toward it, casts the shadow of our burden behind us.
(Samuel Smiles)
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Akbar's on Hagley Road quite good too. Nice environ, good service and gave extra dish for free when (genuinely) complained that food was too spicy for kids. Was there last week, but terribly busy on Saturday and can be difficult to park on Saturday night.

Edit to add: ok1, aawwwww what a thoughtful message. Enjoy the ride, I have a feeling this is just the beginning for you and yours :D
UmSusu
marma

Post by marma »

I must join this post now .. Congrats to all who have had good news and chin-up to all those who have been redirected! Don't stare too long at the closed door as another will be opened for you soon !

Talking of restaurants,def Shahis masala and Lazzats ! And it's strange to think we probably come across each other here ( well possibly ) and we are oblivious to the fact that we ' virtually' know each other !

Perhaps we should all have a EPF emblem that we should discreetly wear and only other EPF members will recognise??! Hoping that many of us will be in Lazzats or shahi masala on march 1st!!
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

my DC wanted to go to Nando's in Star city after grammar result; his choice. The food there is exceptional. Buffet places are great but a bit over priced when compared to a standard a la carte on Ladypool road.

Did try the new Havali on Coventry Road last week, a bit spoilt by the live music but food was a lot better than Lazzat's across the road.

My favourite up here in the grimey north is Oodles and Noodles...Great taste and freeeesh ingredients,
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

um wrote:Sorry but I have to agree with poiuyt on that one...most buffets are pretty :roll: and JS is :roll: :roll:
Still shuddering from the time when, at the end of a meal, I noticed lipstick on my glass (I never, ever wear lipstick).

The only decent buffet I know in Bham is Lazzat on Coventry Road and it is well worth it...always good quality food and service and lovely family friendly atmosphere (no alcohol either :D ). They have Indian, Arab, Chinese and Italian food, plus dessert.

I now have to admit that if ds2 gets into 5 Ways, we'll be going there on 1 March :)

Will have to try that one. I have to say I seem to be in the minority and find it difficult to find decent restaurants in Brum. There are plenty in numbers but few in quality. Badr on Cov Rd is good too- Arab style so not very spicy, no frills either (sorry, marketing not my strongpoint), but it doesn't give you the erm, what shall I call it (?) , overactive stomach the next day as the 'kofta' is not just full of fat :roll: .

Btw, congrats abouts KES :D . So you yielded to his preference of KEFW? All the best.
UmSusu
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Lazzat on Coventry Road all the wayyy!!!!!

Ok1... Thank u so much! U deserve all the happiness right now... How proud both families must feel :-)

Marma, I'm quite liking this badge idea!!!!!
um

Post by um »

UmSusu... Camp Hill is deserving of Mughal-e-Azam (Stratford Road) :oops:

It remains our first state choice (Camp Hill, that is, not Mughal e Azam) as it is the closest and obviously, ds1 attends there. I am sure he would get a brilliant education at any of the Grammars, they're just logistically not as easy.

Whether we'll ever go to Mughal's....or Lazzat's...or anywhere else ...remains to be seen :lol:

(In 9 days and 10 minutes time, God willing)
Last edited by um on Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.