KESH --- King Edwards Sheldon Heath Academy

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
marma

KESH --- King Edwards Sheldon Heath Academy

Post by marma »

Does anyone know much about this Academy ? It was taken over by the KE foundation in sep 2010. It's also our local comp!

Any info appreciated !
BaccHus25

Re: KESH --- King Edwards Sheldon Heath Academy

Post by BaccHus25 »

As far as I know this was one of the failed school and was put under special measurements.

My local schools are in Solihull so this is what I heard.
um

Post by um »

BaccHus speaks the truth.

It was not a converter academy (like the KE Grammars are now themselves) but was a sponsor academy, i.e. 'forced' to change to academy status under a sponsor, due to failing to improve, and in this case the sponsor was the King Edward foundation.

I guess it has improved (a nice way of saying it couldn't get worse) and is certainly included (at events etc) within the King Edward Foundation family of schools. I imagine they have really implemented a lot and improved the teaching quality, but this can take years to filter through the school cohorts.

The problem is that many Sheldon children will still choose Lode Heath, Lyndon or even Heart of England if they can, because of the previously poor reputation of Sheldon Heath.
I wonder if, in about 5-6 years time, when Sheldon pupils can no longer get a place at Solihull schools, Sheldon Heath will have a good chance of being a true local comprehensive and making some good headway.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

There's a recent Ofsted which is interesting and informative (not something it's always possible to say about an Ofsted), what it says looks consistent with the details on the DofE website. Not ideally suited to an able pupil at the moment, but worth keeping an eye on.

Mike
marma

Post by marma »

Thank you .. I went to the open day . The head teachers seemed to have a passion to improve the school and the ethos and vision was one of the KE foundation in general . They teach in ability groups and have a brand new building to open in nov 2013 and the head also spoke of PERHAPS they would have some sort of entrance test in the near future. Why would the KE foundation take on this school as their 8th school in Birmingham if they were not confident they could improve it ? Surely if they failed it would bring their reputation to disrepute ?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now