Reality check!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lottie78

Reality check!!!

Post by lottie78 »

Hi all,
Seeing everyone so nervous about school places has really made me worry today about the whole 11 plus journey..Ds had an 11 plus assessment today (granted by a potential tutor)... I came away feeling awful, he only really assessed his Maths which I know is his weakest area anyway. We were told that Ds needs massive amounts of Maths work(no surprise to me) but he is a very quick learner and has a good brain, not very technical term!!! Ds is not 10 till August but it seems so much to do in such a short ,space of time. He is currently getting level 5 all round and is top 3 in every subject but at an average state primary school. A family member previously assessed him and she works at a very successful Solihull primary school, again said he is a very quick learner and is very bright. His strength is definitely English and vr and non vr as he seems to just 'get these'. I think Ds was a bit disheartened as he felt like he didn't do well today, difficult for a 9 yr old that has always excelled at his current school.
I guess it's all getting very real now for all of us, but he still wants to sit the exam. He has a very good attitude in that he says if I don't pass I 'll have learnt lots to help in my sats and local secondary school.
I guess we've got a year of worrying and waiting ahead of us!!!
Lottie
wanting4

Re: Reality check!!!

Post by wanting4 »

If he wants to try let him! He has nothing to lose and everything to gain. My DD is still only 9 too and September is so close :shock: I want to give her every opportunity available so we have no regrets. :wink:
poppit

Post by poppit »

lottie78

First of all don't worry. Secondly remember that the tests are age standardised, so your young son will not be disadvantaged. NVR is tricky to teach if you don't get, so that is another thing you don't need to worry about. Maths is a great topic to coach and there is loads of study material out there. My advice to start with is focus on the teaching, rather than testing (it also stops you getting worked up so much). With the maths find an area that is tricky for him and really work at it so he is rock solid, then move on to other areas and until you find another one that needs focus and polish that one, doing the odd question on the first (ex-) tricky topic so he retains the learning. Regular little sessions will get you both there.

It is definitely worth trying for, so go for it, as well as skill and knowledge there is a fair amount of luck involved e.g. number of other children taking the test will vary as will their average ability, the exam that year may 'suit' him. Before my son took the test we would discuss all the things it wouldn't test e.g. kindness to friends, building great things out of lego, tree climbing, knowledge of all the Percy Jackson books, being lovely (of course I am biased!), just to put it in perspective etc. etc. (you get the idea)

Good luck
lottie78

Post by lottie78 »

Hi thank you for the encouragement, like you said we have nothing to lose( maybe my sanity) and if Ds still wants to give it a go we will carry on and everything he learns will be a bonus! I certainly don't relish the thought of waiting for the exam results but at least the wait won't be as long as previous years and then we will know where we stand.
Thanks again
Lottie.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now