Five Ways v KES - please help me with this dilemma

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KenR

Re: Five Ways v KES - please help me with this dilemma

Post by KenR »

Probably the main difference between KES and KEFW is in the area of music and drama, particularly the former. KEFW is good at music given the time constaints of the national curriculum but KES is fantastic. There are good extra (and cheap) instrument lessons at KEFW but they don't really have the time that KES are able to allow. The bands and orchestras at KES (jointly with the girls schools) are excellent. Very tough and competitive to get into the symphony orchestra but an excellent orchestra - they have a 3 days away sessions in shropshire every year.

The other issue at KEFW is they pupils come from far and wide but the Green Buses leave at a fixed time; makes it difficult for parents to schecdule after school clubs or activities. Lots of long trips to Bartley Green on dark nights!

My daughter went to KEHS and my son is at KEFW so we have seen the pros and cons of both sides. They are both excellent schools. My son is going to China in Oct on a 2 week exchange trip and also did a World Challenge trip to Morocco a few years ago - lots of fantastic oppotunities at both schools.

If you want answers to specific questions then by all means drop me a PM - I will try to answer. Some of my sons friends are at KES
ginobellavia

Post by ginobellavia »

KenR wrote:Probably the main difference between KES and KEFW is in the area of music and drama, particularly the former. KEFW is good at music given the time constaints of the national curriculum but KES is fantastic. There are good extra (and cheap) instrument lessons at KEFW but they don't really have the time that KES are able to allow. The bands and orchestras at KES (jointly with the girls schools) are excellent. Very tough and competitive to get into the symphony orchestra but an excellent orchestra - they have a 3 days away sessions in shropshire every year.

The other issue at KEFW is they pupils come from far and wide but the Green Buses leave at a fixed time; makes it difficult for parents to schecdule after school clubs or activities. Lots of long trips to Bartley Green on dark nights!

My daughter went to KEHS and my son is at KEFW so we have seen the pros and cons of both sides. They are both excellent schools. My son is going to China in Oct on a 2 week exchange trip and also did a World Challenge trip to Morocco a few years ago - lots of fantastic oppotunities at both schools.

If you want answers to specific questions then by all means drop me a PM - I will try to answer. Some of my sons friends are at KES
Thanks KenR, My kids do piano so perhaps that difference is important. They also do drama so could you say which is better at including the kids in performances not just the curriculum drama but extracurricular (my kids currently do stage 2 theatre and it would help logistics if they could do this type of activity in their school.

Also art: which is better
design : what are the differences.

My kids are into art and design so this could swing it for them.

thanks for continued help.
I have visits planned to both KEFW and KES again and a pending SWOT analysis
80's girl

Post by 80's girl »

You will prob be aware that the new performing arts building is near completion at KES. My ds has taken part in all the productions since starting and they are of a very high standard. Mathering End in December was actually written by the children themselves, and was wonderfully original. I have also seen a couple of senior productions and there are some extremely talented children, Les Mis last year was amazing.

Open auditions are held at beginning of school year and rehearsals are after school and there is also a junior drama club at lunch time. Hope that helps.
Last edited by 80's girl on Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

ginobellavia wrote:
KenR wrote:Probably the main difference between KES and KEFW is in the area of music and drama, particularly the former. KEFW is good at music given the time constaints of the national curriculum but KES is fantastic. There are good extra (and cheap) instrument lessons at KEFW but they don't really have the time that KES are able to allow. The bands and orchestras at KES (jointly with the girls schools) are excellent. Very tough and competitive to get into the symphony orchestra but an excellent orchestra - they have a 3 days away sessions in shropshire every year.

Thanks KenR, My kids do piano so perhaps that difference is important. They also do drama so could you say which is better at including the kids in performances not just the curriculum drama but extracurricular (my kids currently do stage 2 theatre and it would help logistics if they could do this type of activity in their school.

Also art: which is better
design : what are the differences.

My kids are into art and design so this could swing it for them.

thanks for continued help.
I have visits planned to both KEFW and KES again and a pending SWOT analysis

KES has just built a performing arts centre, for joint use with KEHS, it is outstanding for those musically inclined. A modern languages building is due to start construction and the science labs are due for a refurb. They may also redo the sports hall.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Dibble wrote:
poppit wrote:Do any of you have experience of Five Ways and/or KES? What should I consider when weighing up which is the best option? Which would you choose and why?

They are both strong academically, with KES focusing on the IB in the 6th Form. My impression is that KES has a wide range of clubs and sporting activities. Five Ways is co-ed, aren't boys supposed to benefit from having girls around?

KES is closer to us and has great sports facilities, but is it worth the extra money? The more I think about it, the more conflicted and confused I become. Help please!
A year old now but worth re-reading, I think
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=19120
(PAGE 4 especialy :-)

Ah, I remember that discussion! Funny how my son is now in KES and no_ball chose CH.

Re the IB issue, we chose based on what suits our child NOW rather than five years down the line, when things could have changed regarding suitability of A levels re IB. We will move him if we need to, but KES are on the ball with most things and they have excellent links with the universities we would look at (Russell Group) as well as those further afield (a representative from a non EU Uni came to give a talk to older boys about admissions at the start of the year).
Stevehopkins

Post by Stevehopkins »

That was a good thread, to-ing and fro-ing between KES and the KE grammars.
Dibble

Post by Dibble »

moseleymum wrote: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=19120

Ah, I remember that discussion! Funny how my son is now in KES and no_ball chose CH.

Re the IB issue, we chose based on what suits our child NOW rather than five years down the line, when things could have changed regarding suitability of A levels re IB. We will move him if we need to, but KES are on the ball with most things and they have excellent links with the universities we would look at (Russell Group) as well as those further afield (a representative from a non EU Uni came to give a talk to older boys about admissions at the start of the year).
I’m with you there. A little humility that we just can’t predict the future, not in the way that parents often like to portray to their kids anyway.

This is one of the few places on the planet where you can get any sympathy for having to choose between CHB/FW and KES. I think much of the parental angst expressed here is excitement and perhaps a little like the proverbial kid crying in a sweet shop? – yes there are lots of sweets but if you eat one sweet you are also, simultaneously, NOT eating all the others and... IT’S ONLY POSSIBLE TO EAT SO MANY SWEETS!
Well, that’s certainly how I felt when I got such a number of overwhelming offers.

I would like to encourage people to involve their children in the decision. I realize that may be difficult if you feel they’re young-for-their-age or they’ve had little practice in making decisions for themselves. There are only good choices in front of you. Reason and logic may not be the whole story, the best school for your child is the one they love and can completely commit to. It’s difficult to achieve that without choice.

It’s also worth remembering that in a very few years every decision you made for them will turn out to have been wrong – start gathering your ammunition now! If you can say “Well, you chose that school”, that works quite well ;-)
poppit

Post by poppit »

To close the loop, I thought I'd let you know that in the end we chose Five Ways. The tour of the school on a normal day really helped us to get a feel of the place - very different to the mad, happy scrum of hopeful parents and children on Open Days.

Both schools are fantastic and if money were no object KES (and it's fun Friday afternoons) would be wonderful.

That said we are very happy with our choice and quite frankly it is simply great to have made a decision and posted off the letters to FW and KES.

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas.

poppit
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Poppit, you couldn't really have gone wrong either way, but good to read that you have come to a decision that satisfies. I hope he is very happy there :D .

Also, thankyou, you have just reminded me that I still need to post the LEA letter :roll:
UmSusu
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now